Any substitution for Tonebone Hot British tube distortion?

yltang

I've tried a Tonebone Hot british tube distortion and liked it a lot.
However, this pedal is way too bulky and heavy for my tiny pedaltrain mini, not to mention the 15V Dc which is hard to find in normal power supply.
As a result, i sold it.

After trying a few other distortion effects like wampler plextortion, suhr riot, metal muff, etc.,
i cant find the warmth and tightness like in hot british.
I would like to know if any pedal can provide a similar tone as hot british.

dwolfggc

I had the same question. Had a hot British and loved the way it sounded, but the size and the weird power requirements put me off it.

I tried a few including a Barber Dirty Bomb (which is more Mesa than Marshall)
What replaced it for me was a Hardwire Valve Distortion. You could also try a Zvex Distortron or a Wampler PlexiDrive or Plextortion.

yltang

I had the same question. Had a hot British and loved the way it sounded, but the size and the weird power requirements put me off it.

I tried a few including a Barber Dirty Bomb (which is more Mesa than Marshall)
What replaced it for me was a Hardwire Valve Distortion. You could also try a Zvex Distortron or a Wampler PlexiDrive or Plextortion.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Nice to know that sb feels the same as me towards hotbritish.
I am currently using plextortion but it is not as warm as hot british and does not have enough gain.
I think i'm going to try out the Hardwire Valve Distortion

dwolfggc

Ah, I missed that you had already tried the Plextortion when I read your post.
The Hardwire is pretty cheap too. Especially used.
Good luck!

erniestrings

I'm currently using the Super Plextortion myself, which works pretty well for my needs, but if you want more gain I would check out the Weehbo JVM or JMP. The Bastard is pretty aggressive as well, but a little too raunchy for my purposes (I don't play much really heavy stuff). I've considered replacing my Plextortion and Pinnacle with the JVM but haven't talked myself into pulling the trigger yet. I also really like the Carl Martin Plexitone, however it may not be gainy enough for your needs either. Lastly, the Tight Rock seems to get a lot of love around here and from the demo's I've heard has loads of gain on tap. Good luck in your tone quest! Always fun hunting down that elusive sound...

clamflatslim

radial bones series seems to get some prop.london bones specifically.have to say most seemed to prefer hot british because of more tonal options.still a lot of love for londonbones,smaller footprint,pedal power cable accepted.quieter also.if i were in the market think i'd go with hot british used.worth trying the bones.

skruempel

Really interested too what sounds and feels similar to a Hot British. It is really a great distortion. I used it in a rehearsal directly after it arrived and I was amazed. But soon I realized it has a somewhat nasally quality which I could not dial out. I now use a XTS Atomic that is a great and flexible marshally distortion, the best I MIAB I played yet. But the Hot British was somehow… I don´t know, somehow it was really “hot” ;-) Playing was very easy with the HB. Would be great to hear from other former Hot British users what they use now and how it is comparable to the Hot British. I heard the Damage Control Demonizer is similar… But it´s even bigger ;-)

WhoJamFan

Silver Supporting Member
I had one years ago and got rid of it for the same reason. I've had both the Plextortion and the Crunchbox, and found they both got lost in a live band setting. I replaced them all with the amptweaker Tightrock. Live, with a band playing fairly loud fast rock music, it cuts through perfectly and retains clarity and note definition even in high gain settings. So many things sound great by themselves, but playing live is were I need a pedal to really shine. The Tightrock ended my search.

The other guitar player in my band just took his Hot British off of his main board and replaced it with a Tightrock. His search is over as well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom