Any Success Tinting White G&L MFD Pickup Covers?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by o0Ampy0o, Apr 25, 2015.

1. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Does anyone have experience tinting the white G&L MFD pickup covers?

I know that tinting success generally depends on the plastic. This is specifically regarding the white G&L MFD covers. G&L only offers white and black covers on the MFD's. I am interested in altering the white to something in the range of cream. I would be trying coffee and tea. They are $10 each and if they do not take to staining I will not bother. I'd use my current blacks rather than whites between the two. I want to avoid spending the $30 + tax, s&h if it isn't going to work anyway.

Thanks

2. Axeaholic

Axeaholic Supporting Member

They do take to staining, but you might need to get some very very fine sandpaper to make sure it works. saw a TGPer do this awhile back

3. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

My attempts at tinting failed miserably :(

I bought creme covers from G&L a few years ago. I also bought a creme pick guard from Chandler.com.

[​IMG]

4. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

I had good results using Rit fabric dye (yellow\brown combo) on the non-MFD G&L pup covers on a Legacy. Not sure if the MFD covers are different.

5. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Brown Kiwi shoe polish.

6. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Thanks everyone for the information.

I will go ahead and order the white covers.

I will begin by taking a fraction of the surface off.

I love the transparent orange with cream plastic and natural neck combo. One of my favorites in an ASAT. Unfortunately I do not have the option of ordering cream for the MFD's.

I like the control that using two dye colors affords. Tea and coffee are fairly set hues. I would like to match the cream of Strat knobs. That is a standard to aim for. Also will look better if I ever decide to use Strat knobs instead of the Tele knobs used on S-500's.

I have read that Kiwi polish comes off and needs to be re-applied periodically. I'd like to avoid that and I am looking for the consistency of a new guitar. If this were a relic road worn style I would have some latitude.

Thanks again!

7. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

After a few days it will not come off. No way, it is a stain.

I have done it to pickguards and covers many times, and have
    never reapplied it after the first application.

8. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

I like this very much! Transparent Orange over Ash? How does it sound with those pickups? Could be Honeyburst as well?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  9. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

These must be S500 or ASAT Classic MFD covers then ? The larger MFDs in the ASAT Special do come in cream from the factory. At least mine did :huh

[​IMG]

10. RussB

It is honeyburst. The guitar was a '96. I sold it about 3 years ago to buy a Guild F-50 and regret it daily. I seldom play the F-50. I like the big MFD pups. They have a voice of their own.

11. RussB

Beautiful, albeit backwards! :)

I wonder if the OP called G&L? That's how I got my creme covers

12. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Yes the pickup covers are for an S-500, and they only come in black or white.

http://g-l-online-store.myshopify.com/collections/pickup-covers/products/s-500-pickup-covers

@DustyRhodesJr, I was just relaying what I read and have no experience to agree or disagree with. If it's a dye I am probably taking the dye route. I like the idea of using two colors to come up with the correct hue.

@ SouthpawGuy, love that guitar!

@RussB the picture looks like their transparent orange. I have a honeyburst too. Yours didn't have much burst and looks more honey. G&L seems to do that a lot with the honey and honeyburst. I have seen more honey looking honeybursts than the opposite. Mine is very bursty. Ironically it wasn't supposed to be honey-anything. G&L is kind of lazy with consistency of color, in my observation. Nicely made guitars for the money and it just comes with the brand.

13. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

I've also noticed that Honey burst is the G&L finish with the most variation. I have an ASAT Deluxe and a Legacy Deluxe both in honey burst, the ASAT has way more burst and colour change from edge to centre than the Legacy which has very little burst at all.

14. match247

match247 Member

I'm getting ready to purchase the crème covers from G&L for my deluxe but I can't seem to find any cream top hat selector knobs. Anyone have any leads on those?

[​IMG]

15. ASATlove

ASATlove Supporting Member

I have done the double strength coffee tinting on many Fender pickup covers over the years. I even heat up the coffee in a microwave for about 45 secs. Before dropping in the parts.
    I will be doing the exact same thing with MFD white covers within a week or so, have the parts on order. Let's keep in touch through this thread.

16. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

OK. I have not ordered the covers yet. I was doing research for a potential color change. I have a cream pickguard purchased for a Legacy that I discovered is the same part used when an S-500 is built without the mini toggle. Long story short I can swap between my Legacy and S-500 and I want cream pickup covers to go with the cream pickguard.

17. ASATlove

I've got a Parchment pick guard on order with Chandler for a S-500 I'm doing a rescue on. Some one decided they wanted a Legacy SSH and did the conversion with G&L pickups and Chandler P.G. I'm building up a new drop in S-500 pick guard with the mini toggle.
    I JUST got my covers today and dropped them in Coffee with a 45 sec. Microwave heat up. I will look at the covers tomorrow, but expect to see a change in a few days. I'll post up some pics if I can of the progress....... Or failure.......

18. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

Thanks. You made a good choice in the parchment. I bought a cream and part of the reason it has sat wrapped up for over a year is because I wasn't certain about it once I saw it. I didn't plan this and it may turn out to be a very good result. I have decided to Photoshop it out first before I touch the S-500. Maybe I will ask for opinions here. I know I need to do something later with the Legacy but the cream isn't the solution. Thinking about mint if the S-500's current black does not become available.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  19. ASATlove

Looked at the covers last night. After ONE DAY they are done! These took the coffee better than the Fender covers I've done. The guitar now has a white Motopearl P.G. That looks great, however, I wanted a yellowed(aged) Moto if I got another. The price was just something I couldn't see spending on a P.G. Maybe I'm just too cheep in my old age, but $70.00 with shipping was too steep for me. Any way, just know that these covers will take to the coffee real soon compared to Fender plastic, they turned out good. I'll try to get up a pic or two of the pickups in out of and in the guitar. Still waiting on parts to arrive.....