Any successful Voodoo MicroVibe mods?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Texas Jake, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Texas Jake

Texas Jake Member

I just purchased a MicroVibe having read the reports of it being a bit dark sounding. I knew what I was getting into but I was looking for a fairly inexpensive vibe pedal with simple controls and top jacks that could be powered from a 100mA tap on the PP2+. The MicroVibe checks all these boxes and the online demos didn't sound too bad.

Maybe I got a dud but mine is pretty much unusable. Even with the intensity turned all the way down to where there's little to no audible vibe effect, as soon as you engage the pedal it's like there's a low-pass filter set at about 400Hz. It's very pronounced and completely kills the tone of my guitar. Additionally, when the MicroVibe is engaged, it makes my fuzz pedal that follows it (MJM Britbender) very noisy. I tried reversing the order of the fuzz and vibe but it was no help. Neither pedal sounded good in that configuration. I also tried powering the MV with a battery instead of the PP2+. No difference.

Finally, I swapped in a DryBell Vibe Machine and it was night and day. Beautifully clear and present vibe sound, no loss of high frequencies, and no issues with my fuzz whatsoever.

I really want to like this pedal so the question is, has anyone successfully modded their MicroVibe (by JHS or otherwise) to where it sounded noticeably better? if so, who did the mod and what was better about it?

2. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Bump for knowledge. Mine does the opposite, adding some glassy high end.

3. thewex

thewex Member

i've had a microvibe for 10+ years and got the JHS mod about 5 years ago. its a great improvement IMO. expanded range both in terms of intensity and speed. overall frequency response is improved as well, but it still adds some color to your tone. sometimes it sounds better at less than 9v, so you can try it on the sag output on the PP2+. i've never played the drybell, but that definitely has more features and more expensive, so i wouldn't expect it to be in the same class. i think for a real value vibe, the VL is one of the best choices. put a few more $$ in it and its really going to be a nice feature on your board.

4. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Supporting Member

I've never tried a stock microvibe but just grabbed a used one with jhs mods. I like it alot.

5. burns

burns Member

Don't know if they ever changed them but older Voodoo Lab switches are notorious for their crappiness and will sound like you describe without constant cleaning. :mob

6. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Earthquaker Devices - The Depths.

7. Stephen Barton

Stephen Barton Member

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie. I realise this is old, but someone might find it useful.

I bought a JHS modded MV more than 10 yrs ago. It’s fantastic. I have a bunch of vibe pedals, including an old deco-style UniVibe. The MV is the best. I’ve had no problems and it sounds magnificent. I just got a Neo Ventilator today, so I’ve decided to sell my UniVibe, MicroVibe, and VibroThang (the old one). The Ventilator is the best there is and it’s stereo. I love the MV, but it won’t get used anymore. I’m pretty sure that my MV is quite old-perhaps that’s why I’ve had no problems. Email me if you want to know about the mod.