Any such thing as an "AC30-in-a-pedal"?

Lt_Core

I'm totally addicted right now to that chimey, British Vox sound. I don't see myself buying an AC30 in the near future. Curious if there is such a thing as an AC30-in-a-pedal. I doubt it but you never know. I would be using it with a very clean channel.

I tried a low-gain OCD v4 setting but wasn't close ;)

zion

Silver Supporting Member
Top of me head would be the BJFE Emerald Green Distortion Machine (EGDM) and the Menatone Top Boost In A Can (TBIAC).

beNsteR

+1000 to the Menatone TBIAC.

i've got the latest 2-footswitch model.

it made me sell my Vox AC15CC w/Blue speaker.

- the TBIAC through my other amps sounded better (to me) and was more versatile than the Vox! heck, it even 'took' other drive pedals better.

starfish

I have another EGDM coming this week (for the second time). The first time I had it, I didn't like the EQ so I sold the pedal. But I heard about the trimmer so I thought I would give it another whirl. I hope it works better this time. But maybe the EGDM is meant for non-Vox amps to get the Vox sound? I didn't like it with my AC-30 nor DC-30 the first time around. Hopefully it was just the EQ of the trimmer setting.

Lt_Core

Sounds like an overwhelming 2 thumbs up for the TBIAC. Now I have to sell some stuff to get on ;)

Lt_Core

Any amps that the Menatone TBIAC does NOT sound good with? I would use it on my Mesa F-50's clean channel, which takes pedals very well. Thanks for all the quick replies so far. I love this site!

jcoggins7

+1 TBIAC
Even though Vox tone is not my cup of tea at all (actually, I kinda hate it), this pedal sounds like one, except a little better, IMO.

rob2001

Just got a TBIAC. It's a cool pedal. I only used it for one rehearsal but it sounds pretty good. The tone controls seem very interactive. Last night I ran it into the clean channel of a JCM 800. As far as it sounding like a Vox I can't say just yet. THe 800 has a strong character that even the best pedal won't over-ride. But so far I like the tones I was getting lasty night. Kindof cool because a guy i'm working with on a recording project is bringing over an AC 30 saturday. So i'll be able to really see how much it sounds like a real vox for myself. But so far I can say it's a pretty cool pedal with a nice musical flavor.

Bucksears

I'm really excited about the Liverpool and will get one as soon as they're ready. Tech21 pretty much invented/revolutionized amp emulation, so these are probably going to be pretty darn good.
I just wish they had separate ouputs for amp & mixer, so you could run direct to a mixer with cabinet emulation OR direct to an amp. I'd love to see 'dual' versions of these as well; British and Liverpool in one, or British and California, etc.

rob2001

I'm a little confused, again. :)

How can a pedal so drastically change the sound of an amps "natural" pre and poweramp tone, to the extent that it can create the 'chime' & 'jangle' of a Vox?

Thats what I intend to find out this weekend comparing a TBIAC into a JCM 800 VS. a real AC 30. I've only had the pedal for a day and I could already figure out that the 800 is still accounting for a big percentage of what i'm hearing. I'd guess that some amps circuitry can be more open to influence from a pedal.
It will be interesting to make the comparison. I've never heard a real AC in person, only recorded examples.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
I'm a little confused, again. :)

How can a pedal so drastically change the sound of an amps "natural" pre and poweramp tone, to the extent that it can create the 'chime' & 'jangle' of a Vox?

I think that any time you want to voice an amp with a pedal, the amp itself needs to be fairly neutral as a starting point. Some amps have SO MUCH of their own voice, no matter how you set them, that they aren't good at this. An amp with a good, fairly flat, clean channel is a good starting point. I bet your amps clean channel would take some of these great pedals and do a VERY convincing job of replicating these other amps.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom