Any suggestions for a book regarding the mid70's English music scene?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by geoangus, May 2, 2016.

1. geoangus

geoangus Member

Driving solo for 4 hours today, I had a good, long, uninterrupted listen to my iPod. I got a big kick out of the Sex Pistols back in '78, but as the next five years played out, I found myself drawn more to Elvis Codtello, The Clash, Nick Lowe, The Jam and Squeeze.
    Listening today, I wondered where all these guys came from. The music scene had to be crazy, but these bands had to have roots somewhere. There must be some good reads out there that chronicle the era; suggestions?

2. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

a bit curious to hear more about this, but i'm betting that it'll just be very disappointing.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

Is there a Nick Lowe bio? He was right there, for all of it.

4. S. F. Sorrow

S. F. Sorrow Member

Jon Savage's book England's Dreaming.
    Also John Lydon's book Rotten is a very entertaining read.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A-Bone likes this.
  5. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Elvis Costello wrote and published an autobiography.
    There are also a handful of books on The Jam (one being Rick Buckler's autobiography).
    i am not familiar with any book chronicling the sort of pre-punk UK scene in the 70s. There is a fantastic book on postpunk by Simon Reynolds,

and a few on punk itself.

6. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

just as i suspected... all these guys were home having tea and crumpets with their mums, watching the telly before Sex Pistols hit.

7. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Savage is an engaging read, for sure.

There is also a great book on Manchester's Factory Records (which is more late 70s through to the early 90s).

And Peter Hook's books about the Hacienda night club and his time in Joy Division are also great reads.

8. Mr.FirebirdVII

Mr.FirebirdVII Member

Marcus Gray`s 1997 Clash bio "Last Gang in Town" is flawed but provides detailed accounts of Mick Jones` attempts to become a rock star in the seedy underbelly of the mid-70s London Glam scene (photos of the glam era Jones are priceless) and Joe Strummer`s anarchic life in the London squats/Pub rock scene. Lots of supporting interview material. Strummer`s pre-Clash bohemian life in the squats reads like something from Dickensian London. Hard to believe it was just a little over 40 years ago. Fascinating stuff.

These are by far the most compelling parts of the book IMO. The rest of the Clash legend is well known and perhaps documented better elsewhere.

I think Gray`s book was heavily revised as "Return of the Last Gang in Town". I`m not familiar with the contents of the revision.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    A-Bone likes this.