Any Summing Box users?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by thesedaze, Feb 27, 2008.

1. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I'm looking into building a simple 16ch passive summing box, and I'm wondering if anyone here uses one in their setups?

I plan on using 2 DSub connectors, 8 channels each. 2 XLR outs, a la the Roll Systems Folcrom, but no left/right buttons...just predesignated.

With that in mind, parts alone shouldn't be more than $75, which will include:

-1u powdercoated chassis
    -2 Male XLR panel-mount jacks
    -2 Female Solder Cup D-Sub Connectors
    -32 1K Ohm metal-film resistors

Compared to $750 or so on the Folcrom, I know it'll take labor, especially w/ the D-Sub's, but I think it'll be a fun one!

Any of you built one of your own?

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

What pre will you use for makeup gain?

I would assume you'd want something VERY nice ($500+/ch.) in order not to negate any improvement in sound.

I was going to do that, using a balanced patchbay I scored for $20, but went with a cool Gaines Audio 8x2 mixer instead. Haven't done enough testing to determine if it sounds better than ITB, but the two definitely sound different.

Loudboy

3. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

I'm not certain what price per channel has to do with it, but yes, I'll be working with a variety of pre's. I'd be more concerned with the converters on the system than the price of pre's it's going back into.

The beauty of the passive summing is being able to add extra flavor to the final mix via pre selection.

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

My point was that the converters/analog summing wouldn't be much of a step up from ITB, if you used a Mackie or something like that for makeup gain.

Loudboy

5. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

You can always just run your main outs to a nice preamp, and skip the summing portion of the equation.

A little analog flavor get be got in a few ways.

6. elambo

elambo Member

The main selling point of a summing box isn't the analog flavors that it adds, it's the analog "summing" which bypasses that of your DAW. To make it worthwhile, you'd need to run more than two channels.

Running through a good preamp DOES sound nice, but it's a separate element in an attempt to improve the sound of digital.