Any T.O.M. ABR-1 bridge that doesn't have loose saddle play/clips/or wire?

XXTwighlight

I picked up a highly recommended ABR-1 replacement a few months back to replace a Gotoh which bowed in the center after years of use. I'm not too happy with the new bridge as it uses little clips which jumped off a few saddles - never to be found - as well as the fact that the saddles have alot of loose play in a side-side direction.
Does an ABR-1 bridge exist that has tight saddles, no clips, and no wire?
And . . . Can fit an Import model (4 mm I believe). Pigtail looks good, but no import version.
Thanx

XXTwighlight

Does anyone manufacture a screw in body post that changes an ABR-1 (import ver) to USA or Nashville?
I believe I've seen some kind of vice-versa to what I seek.
Thanx

scott

Silver Supporting Member
I use the ABM and they are the most stable bridge I've ever used. Those clips never come out and unlike any other abr bridge they aren't routed out on the top so the saddles don't fall out when you take the strings off. My second choice would be the tone pros bridges.

Reactions: Roe

71strat

To bad Pigtail wont work for you. I have 1 in a LP build I had done, and its a really really nice bridge. I used the complete system.

If Faber will fit, I would look into those.

Last edited:

halcyon

Silver Supporting Member
Faber also uses the C clips, but they... I mean... they work perfectly. I'm not sure what the hang-up is. I love my Faber ABRs. They're vastly superior to the Gibson ABRs with retainer wires.

halcyon

Silver Supporting Member
Callaham if you can afford it! I use Kluson until I win the lottery.
I had a Callaham that wasn't machined very well and two of the saddles still rattled despite the lack of a retainer wire. I won't make that mistake again...

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
Huh; I have two callahams and they're awesome, and perfectly tight.
I'm not too happy with the new bridge as it uses little clips which jumped off a few saddles - never to be found -
that's surprising, those little C-clips usually don't come off unless they're pried off with a screwdriver or something (at which point they indeed go flying, never to be seen again).

Anyway the tonepros stuff is tight and solid and half the price of the callaham. I love the callys for their significant tone difference though, the steel construction added sustain and a beefy, solid midrange.

XXTwighlight

Yes, the c-clips didnt randomly fall off, I believe it was related to my flipping the saddle around and not realizing they would ping off.
My biggest issue is the loose side-side play. Which in turn is also related to the clips among other factors.
Maybe Callaham is my best bet.

lemonman

Silver Supporting Member
I have had ABRs and Nashvilles that I've cured the rattles by wax potting them like a pickup. Works great and is cheap.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
I have a Schaller that uses small folded metal springs instead of C clips, and it's solid as hell. I'm not sure if it's Nashville or ABR1 size though.

XXTwighlight

Is changing from 4mm thread (import) stud posts to 6/32 thread (USA) posts simply drilling larger holes?
The post goes directly into my guitar body (no metal inserts) and is the same straight 4mm size from top to bottom of post.
I just want to be able to take advantage of the choices offered out there without being limited to seeking out an import version.

73Fender

Thanx
But it looks like it uses those tiny unstable clips.
I know nothing about the bridge in question but those clips are actually E clips often used in industrial equipment on rotating shafts etc, very robust. I've had to fiddle with all my ABRs but seem to get them to work ok. It's been a while but I do remember bending the retainer wire and just pressing down the screws when they pop up a little.

Last edited:

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
I have had ABRs and Nashvilles that I've cured the rattles by wax potting them like a pickup. Works great and is cheap.[/QUOTE

Don't laugh too hard, but circa 1980 I did something similar to a BadAss bridge using Elmer's white glue.

Trending Topics