1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any Tascam DR-44wl users out there?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Robm422, Oct 9, 2018 at 1:23 PM.

1. Robm422

Robm422 Supporting Member

I just purchased one on amazon. Going to use it to capture room recordings of band jams. I figure I could use the internal mics for the room sound and then the xlr out to close mic my amp and maybe the PA Speaker. Anybody else using one of these? if so how does it sound? any advice or recording tips??

2. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

We have Tascam DR40 units. They are capable of 4 track recording - two internal mics and 2 xls inputs.
    They sound good to my ears. Recording tips? Stand mount the unit so you can get it in the air. Watch
    your levels - the DR40 has headroom - but once you cross you will be SOL. Get a larger flash card
    and if you really want high end sound - get a bunch and record in the Wav format. You'll need
    32gb minimum for each card. Wav will chew up your space quickly.

I think it sounds and records better on a power supply than the batteries - but I haven't any
    technical information to back that up - just observational.

3. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I've also got a DR-40 and love it. I record a board mix + L&R at a lot of gigs and usually get a totally workable mix.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018 at 8:05 PM
  4. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

Just to show what can be achieved with a little Tascam - this is recorded on my DR-40. Board mix from the desk, and the XY room mic on the front of the unit:

Very little post production, just time aligned the room to the dry board mix and took out a little low end from the room mics.

Laurence likes this.
  5. Robm422

Robm422 Supporting Member