Any Taylor Solidbody players out there?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by eman, Feb 22, 2012.

1. eman

eman Member

Yo just wanted to hear about other peoples experiences with the solidbody since its still fairly new. I've been playing my solidbody custom for about three years now. Working it hard lately with 150 gigs a year and it's holding up pretty well. My only beef is the damn pickup switch which has been glitchy and not sturdy enough for real work. I'm gonna get it replaced as soon as tours over. Overall though I love it. Plays beautifully and very comfortable. I've learned how to work the midboost tone knob throughout songs to find the right sound. If you got one What do y'all think so far? Any other common problems to be aware of? Any style that you find it does really well?

2. TheHeavy

TheHeavy Member

i just cant get passed the way they look
    i bet they are of high quality and playability tho

3. Jdobson

Jdobson Member

Had a SB Standard. Beautiful guitar but crazy fret buzz and the bridge was maxed out as far as the height went. Took it to a couple different techs/luthiers and it would have needed some major work to "maybe" get rid of the buzz. Wasnt worth it after what I had already payed so it went back. REALLY wanted to love it but didnt.

4. djlynch

djlynch Supporting Member

Had one
    flat board
    wider neck that felt nice
    it has its own sound going on but to me it was to un strat or les paul like if that makes sense

5. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

I've lusted for a walnut topped s/b since I laid eyes on them.

6. eman

eman Member

Yea I got the walnut top and that look was what lured me in actually. I can agree that the standards are ugly. And def not quite les and not strat know what you mean.

7. RockHardGuitars

RockHardGuitars Silver Supporting Member

I have one right now. It's beautiful, but just doesn't feel right for me. Very light weight. I guess good for country, blues, jazz, light rock. Not so good on the heavy stuff. Probably going to sell it.

8. ljholland

ljholland Supporting Member

I have a Custom with a beautiful top. It's a really nice guitar with regards to playability, quality, etc. The pickups were just a bit too sterile unfortunately. Last year, Taylor released a more traditional sounding humbuckers for the guitar (with a cool solderless connection).....it's MUCH better sounding now. I highly recommend this swap for current owners.

Regardless, it's an in-between sort of a guitar. I typically play Teles, Strats, PRSs, Gretsches, and Gibsons. The Taylor is just another sort of animal. It sounds different but good...just not the traditional guitar you're used to hearing. It also sounds wonderful strum acoustically...easily the loudest electric I have when NOT plugged in....rings like a bell.

Play one first...it may or may not be your sort of thing.

9. stilesg57

stilesg57 Member

Very different, very pretty, and VERY well put-together. Just wasn't my thing.

10. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

Had one. It sounded good, I think, but the glitchy electronics drove me nuts. I could never be sure that the controls would do what I wanted. I had to unscrew the backplate and replug everything to get it working constantly, and finally sold it.