Any Taylor T5 love?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by s2y, Feb 12, 2012.

1. s2y

s2y Member

The TGP search function isn't the greatest. :huh

I picked up a figured koa model a month or two ago. (I really need to sit down and snap a photo soon.) It arrived with a very amazing setup. One of the frets was dented, but I'm not sure if this was from Taylor or the shop. My only gripe is that mine didn't come with a truss rod wrench, which is odd considering it came with an instructional CD.

I'm enjoying the wide range of tones. I was very impressed that Taylor took the time to record each setting through several different amps. Not sure why they took it down recently.

Any others using one?

2. mifar55

mifar55 Supporting Member

I revamp my guitar collection from time to time. My Taylor is the only hold out.
    [​IMG]

3. Dave1

Dave1 Member

It works as my acoustic for band work. I find it very believable in position 1 through the pa.

4. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I own a 2005 Koa T5. It took me awhile to enjoy the #1 acoustic setting. It came alive when I started playing my T5 through a 15" speaker: now I really like the acoustic setting. As far as the other settings, I get the best tones going through pedals vs modelers. The T5 is bright sounding because of the active pick-ups. Final prop: I love the neck on my T5: easy to play and my hand doesn't get sore.

5. s2y

s2y Member

I agree the pickups are a tad bright. The beauty of active EQ is that you can adjust the tone to make it a little less bright.

Anyone using the K4 processor? I don't have an acoustic amp and have been thinking of getting a K4 and running it to a small PA.

BTW, for such an awesome guitar, I'm amazed how few are using it. I've been amazed with the tone for quite a while but resisted until I found out my usual shop became a dealer. This translated to a killer deal. I decided to buy it sooner than later because many of the things I like tend to get discontinued. :omg I hope I'm wrong.

BTW, anyone play the 12 string? How pronounced is the neck dive when playing standing?

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Not crazy about them. If you're switching between acoustic and electric you have to do all kinds of shenanigans to change your signal path. So when I was thinking about one, I ended up with a Crowdster Plus instead (now a Crowdster Plus 2).

They are built very well, play great, look nice, but only have 2 switch positions I even like.

7. s2y

s2y Member

I guess the Achilles's of the T5 is that you more or less need to send it to an acoustic amp or PA for position 1. I think most piezoelectric guitars tend to benefit from an acoustic amp, anyway.

8. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Had use of one for a while. Didn't really like the sound. Didn't sound convincing as an amped acoustic or as an electric.

9. s2y

s2y Member

Any more users?

Saw that they changed the inlays and added a few tops. They also seemed to take down the sound clips. IDK, it's the clips through the various amps and positions that sold me on the T5.

10. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

I just pulled my T5 out to configure for coffee shop gigs where I'll use a modeller to add some electric tones in a duo.

I remember now that one thing that bugged me is that the Taylor electric pickups, which claiming to be humbuckers, don't sound like humbuckers to me, they sound much more open. What are people doing to get a hotter, more midrangy tone from the bridge, for instance? Like if you wanted to start riffing on AC/DC in your coffee house. :D The T5 sounds more Tele than HB to me.

11. n8cjohn

n8cjohn Member

I didn't like the feel of either T5 that I tried in stores - and didn't want to spend the money needed to get a Crowdster. I ended up with a Carvin AC275 - which I really enjoy playing and was a terrific value. It doesn't have the electric capabilities of the T5, though.

[​IMG]

12. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

When they first came out. The biggest problem my customers reported was that it wasn't a great Acoustic Guitar (remember these are Taylor lovers that bought the first ones) and it wasn't a great Electric guitar. Taylor advertised it as the only guitar you'll ever need. It fell short of that & many were returned. It also had bugs in the Expression system. They updated the system with better electric pickups & retro fitted older guitars for free. The guitars are impeccably made and Taylor has the best customer service. But when you make such good Acoustic Guitars, you can't duplicate that in a semi hollow. They should have gone straight to making Electric Guitars.

13. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    LOVE my 2006 Standard in Red-Edgeburst! Plays like a dream, and I really (no REALLY) like the electric tones I can get from it... so many combinations of tone from all the settings combined with the active tone controls... took me a while to get the hang of those after having "normal" tone pots on my ES-345; the Taylor/Neve ones are very sensitive and it only takes a little to affect the tone a lot.

I don't use mine for an acoustic tone, though, and haven't really tried to get a decent sound from it, in that regard... love position 4, reminds me of my old Gretsch! As for pos 3? Just dial in the bass a lot and the treble a little and it starts sounding a lot more like a humbucker...

14. RocknPop

RocknPop Supporting Member

I was really excited and wanted to love mine but after 6 weeks I just could not bond with it. I didn't like the tone through any of my amps. The only thing I found it good for was getting acoustic tones at live venues. Better than an acoustic IMO, but that's about it. Not worth it if you're not performing live weekly.

15. s2y

s2y Member

Picked up a Carr Rambler 2x10 the other day. I currently just have a Boss Blues Driver. Very happy with it. The only downside is that I'm having trouble hearing any difference between position 4 and 5 with my current EQ.

16. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

I love mine, though I don't play it as often as I used to.

[​IMG]

17. s2y

s2y Member

I'm feeling like a punk for not having a pic of mine. I prefer taking photos with natural light and I typically work daylight hours (until the days get longer). Will try to get a pic in the next day or two.

18. machz

machz Member

I picked up a koa t5 last year and I play it through a Rivera Sedona lite and for me it fits well and way to play. I still play it almost every day.

19. jinjabred

jinjabred Member

Sold mine for part of down payment on my house. I sure do miss the T5, it was an amazing guitar!

20. s2y

s2y Member

Any opinions on the T5 with a Zendrive pedal? Trying to cop somewhat of a Larry Carlton-ish sound and the online clips seem to be a lot like that.