Any Tech 21 XXL fans out there?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by yucatown, Feb 22, 2009.

1. yucatown

yucatown Gold Supporting Member

I've had an original XXL for over 10 years and it's remained on my pedal board the whole time. It is my favorite distortion pedal. I like that it has a raspy, not so nice quality to its sound. Tech 21 had discontinued it for several years, but they reissued it recently. I've always wondered why it doesn't seem to have as many fans as other distortion pedals.

2. redpill

redpill Member

Probably because it doesn't particularly sound like anything else. We guitarists tend to be a backward-looking group. I do not have an XXL, but I've considered trying one of the new ones into my Character Serie4s pedals and see how I like the results.

3. ibzmav

ibzmav Member

I had it before and i really really hate it! It has a 'warp' knob for taming down harmonics!?

Why would anyone tame down the harmonics of a dirt pedal? LOL! :D

It's so smooth (in a bad way) that it looses it's chunk on muted riffs.

4. psquared

psquared Supporting Member

This was one of my first dirt pedals. I don't have it anymore but one of my favorite players, the Edge, is a fan I hear.

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Loved it when I bought one in '94 or '95, and I kept that sucker for a few years. Cool pedal that was able to give a somewhat sterile amp (a Marshall 8240) an Eric Johnsony vibe. Very cool... liked that one a lot!

6. steve gray

steve gray Member

i have one that i havent played in 10 years.. maybe i will try it out tonight

7. yucatown

yucatown Gold Supporting Member

If you abuse the warp function, it does get an over the top compressed sound. I set the warp on mine just a little bit past noon. It sings through Fender amps and it pushes my Orange into sweet class A distortion. With the warp at the "off" position as marked in the pedal and with high gain, you get an amazing rude sound that is great for rhythm. I like this better than my FD2 and Emma Reezafratzitz.

8. aziltz

aziltz Member

tech 21 just redid their website with some new bits about a custom shop. maybe some new gear in the future?

9. asintoras

asintoras Member

I had two actually... I think they are great and underrated.

10. ba614

ba614 Member

I bought one in the early to mid 90's. It's the only dirt pedal I have ever had. I still use it. I can get some really wild harmonics out of it. It will make a Fender amp wale and scream!

11. xntrick

xntrick Member

i wish they'd come out with a sansamp GT3, hopefully a new model that emulates some of the better high-gain amps...

12. peridot1

peridot1 Member

I would like to try their PSA 1.1 rack. Supposely it's a studio's secret weapon in tube/amp simulation. $660 is quite a bit to find out though.

13. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Try boosting it with a germanium booster...my new evil favorite! thick and fuzzy without too much mud. actually cleans up, too.

14. Zero

Zero Member

I still use mine. I bought it in '96 or so. It took me a long time to find settings I liked, that worked. I don't use the Warp function at all. For my ears, I don't turn the Tone past 9:00 - gets much too biting.