1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Any TGP'ers like Don Brewer??

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mikeratan00, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mikeratan00

mikeratan00 Member

2. jmecale72

jmecale72 Member

3. russ

russ Supporting Member

Totally kicked ass when he was with GFR

4. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Don has sat in with me numerous times and was always a gracious guest and a great singer/player...Good Singin Good Playin...

5. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

Still has The Hair...

6. StoneAge Cabs

StoneAge Cabs Silver Supporting Member

kicked major ass on the last Bob Seger tour....his drum solo on "Travelin'Man/Beautiful Loser" was outstanding.....like a rock....!

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

A true rock drum god! Great singer too. Walk like a man! Kinda wish he get his 'fro goin' again.
    Anyone remember the great drum solo in TNUC?
    ...that title...took me a few years to figure out what
    the hell it meant.
    Long live Don Brewer!

8. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I like his drumming. Just not to cool with him and his discrepencies with Mark Farner. I know there are two sides to the story and I have not heard Dons side. Only Farners. Farner was Grand Funk IMHO.

9. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Member

I love Don Brewer's singing and playing! The "Closer To Home" album is still my favourite. "Hooked On Love", "Sin's A Good Man's Brother", "Mean Mistreater" not to mention the title track...man that's good stuff.

Jim

P.S. I do realize that Mark sings the songs I mentioned...although Don does a call and response deal in "Hooked On Love". :)

10. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

lol. Same here.
    However(you may have heard this zoso) it all started with Don writing/singing and having the huge hit "American Band".
    According to music critics, when that song came out, it was the day that GFR died.
    It was the beginning of the end.(They were considered a pop band after that instead of the RnR jam band that they were considered by most)

He wanted a seperate floor at hotels than Mark and Mel and other amenities after that hit. That is what got the ball rolling.
    No matter who was to blame, it's too bad.
    Kudos to Don, Mark and Mel for keeping a bit of the fire burning after all these years. IMO, what is there not to like about any of them?(other than getting back together and having one more go).

11. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Farner wants to keep it going but says that Brewer is a lawyer or something. Brewer and Mel are 2/3 of the band and majority rules. They say they dont need farner. LMAO!!
    It is too bad, thats for sure. I never got to see them as I was too young when they were big time. I wish they would release a decent dvd of a earlier concert from the 70s. I know they have got to have some footage. Do they?? Ive got that cd that came out a few years ago that had the dvd in it. It was allright. I did like Inside Looking Out!!

12. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

Donnie's got the "foot".

13. lhallam

lhallam Member

Love his bongo playing on Zappa's "Let Me Take You To The Beach", friggin killer.

14. wntbtw

wntbtw Member

Well said, although there`s really no GFR without both of them together!

IMHO!

"Are You Ready"?!?

15. JDW3

JDW3 Member

As far as covering vocals, lead and harmony, and being a great showman, Donnie is one of the finest in rock. Not many could cover all he did in GFR.

I do agree that he/they kinda screwed Mark over by owning the GF trademark. All decisions are made by Don and Mel now. Kind of a joke.

I seen the "new" GF (w/out Mark) a few years ago and you could talk over it. The show had no energy. A tiny PA in a stadium. They finally turned it up to concert levels for the encore, WAAB.