Any TGP'ers who live in or near Brooklyn, NY? Sigh.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by KennethC, Jul 22, 2008.

1. KennethC

KennethC Member

Hey guys...:confused:

not sure how this is gonna pan out for me, but thought I'd try it out since TGP has become my de-facto gear buddy place over the years.

I recently saw a guitar (worth several thousand dollars) on ebay that I was interested in, and made an offer to the seller(a Power Seller, albeit with 95% +ve feedback). He rang me up and told me that he'd remove the ebay listing if I sent him $200. So I paypalled him $200, rather stupidly, on hindsight.

The ad wasn't removed after a full day, so I tried calling the seller, who cut me off the phone line in the midst of the call, and following that, I couldn't get through to his cell phone and office numbers any longer i.e. I think he blocked my number. He also did not respond to the emails that followed.

Fearing the worst, I filed a Paypal dispute claim, explaining the situation. Soon after, he emailed me saying that he was surprised that I had filed a claim with Paypal without first contacting him - right... :(

Anyhow, he eventually removed the ebay ad, and has agreed to my price. Problem is, I'm in Singapore and whilst I usually would trust sellers to just pack it up and ship it over after I send them the money, you probably can guess that it's kinda hard to trust the seller now.

I'm hoping to find someone trustworthy here on TGP, to whom I can send the money via bank transfer, and who is willing to meet the seller in person to pay him the cash on delivery of the guitar. The guitar is a Gretsch White Penguin, in case anyone was wondering.

Oh, btw, the seller sells cellphone unlocking codes on ebay and has an office in Brooklyn. I have his office address, his cell phone and office numbers.

I will be heading to NYC in 3 weeks' time, and would do this myself, but I'm afraid that the seller won't hold it for me that long.

So, the crux of the matter - is there anyone here on TGP that I can rely on to help me pick it up and pass it over to me when I get to NYC in 3 weeks? :( :( Someone with any knowledge of Gretsches at all would of course be a bonus.

Thanks for listening, if you've made it this far.

2. doublee

doublee Member

Uhhhh, you are asking alot and it sounds dicey to be honest.

3. KennethC

KennethC Member

Sorry, what sounds dicey?

I've transacted with lots of ppl here, and all the deals have gone well, thus my general sense of trust for the folks here and my willingness to even throw this request out... :(

I hope for some help, but I'll understand if no one takes it up. I'll be there in 3 weeks - if only the seller would hold it. I'm quite sure he isn't gonna return me my $200.

4. KennethC

KennethC Member

No one at all? Now the seller aint responding to my emails again. What a d*uche!

5. Colourful

Colourful Member

If you're not comfortable with the transaction, why not go through with the dispute (or ask him to refund you) and just wait for the next White Penguin to pass your way?

Inquiring about wiring thousands to a stranger and asking them to hold the guitar for you (via bank wire of all things) seems like more of a stretch than having good faith in the seller to pack up the guitar and send it, no?

6. KennethC

KennethC Member

cos he said he will not refund me, and I think I'll have no case in the dispute as the $200 was sent for him to remove the ebay listing and reserve the guitar for me.

Paypal's cool by me, I just thought bank wire would be more comforting cos it's actual money that cannot be retrieved by means of a dispute. Like I said, I'm hoping to find a trustworthy TGP'er(someone who has a good rep around here) to help me out. I know I'd help one of you guys out if you were caught in the same situation, but that's just me.

7. 205

205 Senior Member

I would risk the $200 and wait the 3 weeks, if i were you, and pay for it, pick it up yourself. I don't think it's too much for the seller to wait 3 weeks, it would probably be more appealling to recieve the money in person and not have to pack and send the guitar.

8. KennethC

KennethC Member

thanks 205, I've emailed the seller asking if he can wait 3wks...

no reply thus far. I'll just have to keep trying I guess.

my #1 choice would def be to pick it up in person, no doubt abt that.

9. gregc

gregc Member

Let him know you're coming in 3 weeks, either way. If he screws with you, in 3 weeks, kick his butt around the block a few times.

10. KennethC

KennethC Member

Not sure what this puny Asian dude can do to this fella.... wish I could tho! :D

11. Rick1114

Rick1114 Member

I think it sounds dicey as well. Not the helping hand from TGP'er part, but a guy from Brooklyn who sell cell phone codes sold you a guitar worth thousands for $200 part. I've been ripped off by guys selling unlocked phones on craigslist in New York (phone went dead after a few days), and these are slimey character you are dealing with. There probably is a store location, but those guys are probably just going to be evasive/dishonest with you.

That being said I hope the best for you....but you should know this looks like a set-up. You should verify the sellers e-bay accounbt and make sure it wasn't hijacked by a con artist.

12. KennethC

KennethC Member

thanks Rick. WirelessXperts - seems like a reputed cellphone code seller on ebay and even on other parts of the net. But you are right, maybe the store location is but an empty shell for the receipt of business-related documentation/mails. This sucks!

13. KennethC

KennethC Member

Sorry to rake this up again, but I need help fellas.

I am now in NYC, trying to contact the seller. Phone calls and emails have been ignored for the past week. Just today, I got an email from the seller who now says that he's been playing around with the white penguin and while he's still interested in selling it, he thinks it's too new to be sold at the price we agreed upon. He wants to raise it by US$1400.

Point now is, I want my $200 back (pls see my first post above). He obviously has no interest in pushing through with the deal. Pure douchebag.

However, as I had previously opened a Paypal dispute resolution case (which made him respond n communicate amicably), the case was closed. Is there anyway for me to now re-open the case and try to get Paypal to fish my money back from him? He absolutely had no interest in keeping his end of the deal.

I'm seriously at a loss as to what my next steps should be. I could falsely agree to the new crazy price and then just meet him and try to iron things out, but:
    1) I think I'll prob get too angry and lay my hands on him, don't want that..esp since I aint from around here
    2) I don't think he even wants to meet up at all, he's prob just using the crazy price to chase me away.

Seriously guys, what would you do in such a case?!

14. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

I'd track him down for a face to face.
    Good luck.

Are you the guy who bought my Mesa Boogie Studio 22?

15. KennethC

KennethC Member

Thanks guys. I've called Paypal, they seemed very helpful, and agreed to place the dispute on review again, and said that they are likely to rule in my favor. Not sure if that'll really happen, but am keeping my fingers crossed and praying to God.

And nope, Turbozag I've never bought an amp off of TGP before...

some ppl have mistaken me for KeithC here...not sure if you were referring to him?

16. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

In my experience, PayPal doesn't even help people that they should be helping ~
    You did a risky thing sending him the dough in the hope that he was a person of integrity ~ NOT
    Here's a crazy idea. Agree to his price hike. Arrange a meeting. Meanwhile stop by Chinatown, maybe a dojo, someplace where some guys might listen to your tale and be happy to show some Asian solidarity. Then ALL of you could show up at the arranged meeting ~ Just make sure he shows himself and the guitar before your newly formed posse step out from around the corner ~
    Good Luck

17. KennethC

KennethC Member

Yea, I was about to. Then I realized that he most likely wouldn't even show up. His crazy price hike was basically a reflection of his intention to blow me off and kill any last hope I had of settling the matter.

18. otaypanky

otaypanky Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, but you have nothing to lose ~
    Just don't go alone

19. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Hey Kenneth - sorry that this is happening to you. I think sometimes we've got to be careful who we deal with - even if they are from USA. Loads of shady characters around. I can vouch for Kenneth's character for those who are doubtful. All the best bro.

20. jtodds

jtodds Member

I would not be looking for a personal confrontation especially as the individuals character to this point is questionable at best.
    Worst case scenario is you are out $200 that you can chalk up to cost of doing business while learning a lesson. You should take some responsibility here in that sending that money was probably not the best thing to do and taking it on the chin with the $200 is the price you are willing to pay. Definitely put the press on this idiot via whatever legitimate methods you can ie pay pal dispute and negative ebay ratings/comments but I would advise about getting to deep in the mud with a slime ball like this especially over $200. Just not worth the stress and possibly more....
    Sorry this happened to you and hope that a great guitar comes your way soon.
    Best,
    Jason