Any thoughts/info on Yamaha Spinex pickups?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by runningman, Feb 21, 2017.

1. runningman

runningman Member

I recently acquired a Yamaha Tele from the '80s, which apparently has Spinex pickups. Looks like they used these in some of the higher-end models at the time, particularly the SG that Santana used briefly.

Does anyone have any info/thoughts on these pickups? I found very little on the interweb.

Thanks

2. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Gold Supporting Member

As Yamaha humbucking pickups go they are pretty cool. I probably wouldn't go out of my way to acquire any though. Not hot sounding, pretty neutral sounds, not bad at all.

3. Ncp10

Ncp10 Member

They sounded good to me in an SG-2000. There seems to be some discrepancy about if Spinex was the magnets or the slugs.

4. PFCG

PFCG Member

Ill look into this, give me a few days and hopefully ill get some info!

5. runningman

runningman Member

thanks, I appreciate it!

FWIW, there are some interesting theories on what 'Spinex' actually means. I've read in a few different places that it's the same alloy used in acupuncture needles, although I'm not clear on why/how that would be beneficial.

6. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

I want to say that these were used starting sometime in the early 80s in the higher end SGs not the one that Santana would have used.

slowerhand likes this.
  7. sleep

sleep Member

These were in the SBG-3000 and SBG-2100 and I think one other (lower end) model. They weren't in the SG/SGB-2000 as far as I know. I really enjoyed them in the SBG-2100 I had, I thought they were great sounding pickups.

8. Ncp10

Ncp10 Member

Not sure my SG-2000 had Spinex at this point. I bought it around 1981.

9. rhythmrocker

rhythmrocker 1966 Battle of the Bands Supporting Member

To all: I have a Spinex out of an Yamaha SG and put it in a Pacifica Tele 311ms. It has more sustain (just a bit) and makes a dark guitar sound great. With the wrong amp, they are a bit bright.
    I went through soooooo much to get that pickup and it is a little different sounding, but in a good way. The lower strings are crystal clear sounding but with a bit of character, not sterile like some.
    The only other humbucker that I do really like is the Pearly Gates. Below that, the '59 is some positions.
    I know for a fact that the Spinex pickups are painted black, as well as the pole pieces. So if you see pickups claiming to be Spinex - and they have nickel or chrome covers - inquire.
    Also, the Spinex is a high-grade surgical steel intradermal material, used for acupuncture - not a magnet material. So it's just the different POLE pieces in connection with whatever # magnet and # of windings, etc.
    I'll have to put a Gauss meter on the mags some day. Recommendation? Keep it and put heavier strings on 4, 5, 6, if you want more clear bottom. Just an idea. See here, as there are other sites too: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...tail/B008UKUQ2Y/Seirin-Spinex-012mm-x-4mm.php

Ncp10 likes this.
  10. slowerhand

slowerhand Member

Correct. I have an SG1300T that also has them. Yamaha used to have a site with the specs of every guitar they ever made, but unfortunately they took it down a 3 or so years ago. Never heard of Spinex pickups in a tele, but then I never checked.

11. PFCG

PFCG Member

So the spinex magnets were used to combat noise in the high gain push of the 80s. The magnets have a high rate of anisotropy, and they are not quite as strong as an Alnico V magnet, so they have a tighter magnetic field. This reduces the amount of interference they incur.

Hope that helps!