Any thoughts on a '64 Gibson GA-20RVT ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jbert, Aug 9, 2008.

1. jbert

jbert Member

Anyone out there have any thoughts on a '64 Gibson GA-20RVT w/"12. I've an opportunity to get one and am wondering what these things sound like. Up til now I've been using vintage Fender tweeds(champ,vibrolux,twin) and would like to know how this amp compares. It's a 12.5w amp.(very nice) I'm hoping it's sounds along the lines of a blackface Deluxe but would welcome something else as long as it's uniquely usable. Thanks for any help.

2. guitarman_1

guitarman_1 Silver Supporting Member

They are really great sounding amps, though not a lot of headroom.More in line with a princeton rev. I have a couple .Compared to the Fender prices, they are a good buy.The Falcons are also killer.

3. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

It sounds like a tweed deluxe with reverb, and it's about that loud. it's heaven. Friend of mine has a couple and I've borrowed them to record and gig several times. That amp and a wire and a tuner and you'd be set for a blues gig. For death metal you gotta mode the sucker...

4. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I love my Gibson GA,s sleeper amps and as good or better then some of the older Fenders

5. jbert

jbert Member

Dang! You guys are sayin' all the things i wanna hear. i get a chance to try the amp out tonight at a gig with my CS Mary Kaye and '59 330. Can't wait! Hope the seller isn't hip to TGP. At least til after the deal goes down. Thanks.

6. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

diamonds in the rough...great little amps

7. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of the Gibson's after '61 or to be more specific the Crestline models. The circuits changed and many models sound clinical to me. The white tolex and tweeds are my favorite.

8. bunuel

bunuel Member

Opinions don't matter if your gonna get a chance to try one out. But I've played through several & they didn't quite have the sauce, especially compared to the earlier crestline models (I think the GA-20 was designed by Bell & Howell). I agree that after the crestline amps, the desirability of Gibson amps ends.

9. jbert

jbert Member

thanks much. i tried it out and liked it but must admit it sounded a little on the thin side. (i didn't use my guitars though.) i have the chance to try it in a better setting. i was rushed at the gig to set up and play and didn't really get a chance to blow carbon outta the pipes. no pressure. i really appreciate the insight of all of you. i can be pretty snooty ahem, i mean discriminating when it comes to gear and it's related 'golden era'. i know about the earlier model gibson amps but i'm admittedly ignorant about the later '60's models. although, for the price(recording mandolin n' guitar tracks), it may be too good to pass up. just fishin' for info.