Any thoughts on Splawn amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by michael.e, Nov 14, 2005.

1. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Most notably the "Pro Stock" I am looking at one and would love to get some feedback [hee]. How well can it do that beautiful Marshall touchy, responsive clean thing. I am not looking for a clean channel per-se, I want to know how good does it sound when you back off on the gtr. vol. and such. I figger with 100 manly watts at my disposal, the loud cleans might be pretty nice, eh? M.E.

2. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

We both staring at the same ad Michael?
    Hayward Location?

LOL

3. steve10358

steve10358 Supporting Member

My guitar player just sold his Quick rod after a week. Very well built amp- but it had NO dynamics. Zero. It was either on or off. However- it was one of the few modded marshalls I've heard that had some sort of note definition.

S.

4. michael.e

Yes Mike, that is the one! For all the searching that I have been doing on the various websites that cater to Splawns, $975.00 for this model may be a bit pricey. We will see. I am looking for dynamics, I had better do some more research before I commit. M.E.

5. michael.e

6. Erik

Erik Member

Hmmmm, I've found just the opposite.

7. Randy

Randy Member

I had a Quickrod for a little while. It may have been the loop (which I ran a G-Major through) or the relatively low volumes I was playing at, but I also found the amp lacked dynamics. Overall it felt very muted to me, like there was a blanket over it. I just couldn't get the upper mids to open up for me, if that makes any sense. I later got a Mark Cameron modded JMP which did it for me. It did have a lot of potential though, and the Splawn clips I've heard sound incredible so it seems to record very well.

8. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

That's really strange. I have a QR, and that baby is all upper mid snarl/bite. As far as dynamics, it's one of the few high gainers that I can ride the volume knob and get it to clean up well. Most other high gainers just sound starved for signal when you turn the guitar down.

9. Randy

Randy Member

There seem to be a lot of wildly varying opinions on Splawns so I wonder if they're inconsistent?

Or as I said my use of the loop and low volume playing may have made the difference. I wouldn't mind trying Scott's latest verson with a Hotplate turned down a couple of notches and a W/D setup.

10. Erik

Erik Member

Now that, I hear. I had a difficult time with the effects loop at low volumes, turning up the master helped. My solution was to run my effects into the front of the amp (I'm just using a few stomps) when playing alone and then running them in the loop at practice or gigs. But FWIW, there is a very noticeable difference in tone when using the loop at low volumes.

11. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

The opinions do vary...I'll give you that. Perhaps different tastes? Who knows. I do know that I've played 20+ years and owned an ass load of amps. I have the new QR, and it really does sound great. It's that modded Marshall tone that I have been chasing forever.

12. Erik

Erik Member

I don't think they're inconsistent...I think it is a niche product, so "polarizing" might be a better term. If the benchmark is Marshall, and you add a different flavor or vibe, you will naturally attract a certain customer and deter another. Just my 2 cents.

13. gearo999

gearo999 Member

FWIW, the QR is not all sizzle and bite in the top end like a lot of Marshall's are. You have to dial it in that way. I think an EQ in the loop will satisfy any version of Marshall for anyone looking at this amp. I really like the QR as it is. It fits me well.

And I did that low volume all high gain preamp scooped sound for practicing speed licks. Very nice when the family is sleeping.

The ProMod has less of the mid thing going and more high end bite.

14. sosomething

sosomething Member

In my experience, Splawns do NOT like to be attenuated. At least my Pro Mod doesn't, but I'm so happy with the tones I get from it more or less completely dry that it's a non-issue.

15. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

What about his SLP 100 wat mods? I have often wondered about them, I have a SLP laying around and according to his sight it can go from pretty hi gain to clean with the vol knob of the ax, sorts like a train wreak, And then have a FSW-able gain boost for more gain,(which I doubt i would need.)

I have had a lot of mods done and only one did this pretty well, but it's gone now.
    I don't use a lot of gain (think early ac/dc or A-smith) but with a lot of mods run this way are lifeless. And i don't want a sooped mid tone, I want a marshall sound, or as close as a RI will get,
    and the only clips of modded amps on the sight sound a little too flat, but could the players setting prefs. VDG

16. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like the splawn mod I played. Tons of gain but no dynamics. EXTREMELY buzzy.

17. voodoogreg

voodoogreg Member

+1 Hi Tag, haven't beem on a here much at all, but nice to see you!
    We seem to know eachs other's tastes pretty well, different as they may be, so I know you saved me 350 on a mod!
    This seem's to be a kinda curse with modding marshalls. Only my caswell was "Still a marshall". I really have had more luck with Fender mods, BF bassmans mostly. VDG

PS. hope your still making beautiful landscape's! peace bro.