Any thoughts on the Boss RE20 Space Echo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Clumsy Fingers, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

I'm searching for a second delay to supplement the Digilog that I have. I had thought about the Nova delay, but the clips I've seen/heard of the RE20 sound intriguing. I like the idea of the Nova, but I'm not sure I need that many features.

I believe they're both around $250- is there anything else in that price range you might recommend?

TIA

2. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I have a RE-20 that I use for my long delays and a Boss DM-2 that I use for my short slaps. For the money, it's hard to be the RE-20 for the multi-head, long (and short) delay thing. You might want to check the the Decho box from BMF Effects. It is an extremely sweet tape sounding digital delay with 1020 ms of clean natural delay with a nice effects loop added for extra fun and it fits into your price range.

3. Clumsy Fingers

Clumsy Fingers Member

Thanks........ it seems like Boss has a winner with the RE20

4. clark

clark Member

I have and actively use both the re20 and the nova out. to me, the re20 takes over the sound and imparts its own thing on the overall tone (i personally like it). The nova is more transparent to your overall tone and and can very closely mimic the re-20 when set correctly as well as do a ton of other things. the nova is more versital and may win out for me when used live, but i like to stack delays so combinded they make a great combo. if you are playing in a band, the nova really a "what goes in is what goes out" type of pedal. if at all possible, try both and save a few $s by buying used.

5. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

I borrowed a RE20 for a while and liked it a lot. It's pretty fat, good for creating slap & ambient washes of sound. Only thing was, I noticed a noise-gating side effect when the signal would die down, it bugged me a bit, but I'm probably too picky for my own good. It also doesn't have presets. If you can get by with 400 ms (and don't need tap tempo), I'd personally recommend a EH DMM over the RE20, I think it sounds more organic.

I wanted to like my Nova Delay, but it struck me as clinical, too rational. And what some hear as clean, I heard as cold. But if TC put better digital converters in the Nova, it would be a contender.

6. clark

clark Member

i want to chime in and agree that when playing by myself the nova definately has a clinical/ glassy overtone to it, but when played in a band situation, this 'goes away' and really sounds great to me. But then again, I live off of tap-tempo and think that in a band situation even a dd-5 gets the job done. so go figure...