Any thoughts on the Gibson/Garrison guitars?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by padavis, May 24, 2008.

1. padavis

padavis Supporting Member

I played a few of the Canadian made Gibsons and they were okay! Anyone have any info on this happening? I guess I missed the whole boat about it haha!

2. Dotneck

Dotneck Member

Gibson bought the Garrison factory...seems like they are trying to adapt the Garrison line into a lower american made Gibson (american as in north american vs asian). If I was in the market for one I'd wait it out a year or so and see what develops...how they work out the bugs...etc.

Unless you're interested in buying an ok guitar...I'd prefer an above average guitar.

3. padavis

Yea, the ones I played were average for the price range... I was just wondering what it was all about. It was a little odd seeing made in canada inside a Gibson.

4. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

i played a few high end gibsons and it just didnt do it for me, sounded real flat and just down right bland. have no idea why?!

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

My theory: because they are terrible and have been since '67. Get an old one! I record with a '65 J-45 all the time. It also inspires a lot of songwriting. Old ones have a recognizable sound that offers an alternative to Martin that is perfect for some things. New ones only look like Gibsons, IMO. YMMV (he said, not really meaning it).

6. padavis

Yea, I have a '61 Gibson Country and Western and the new ones I have played are not near as alive. How much of that is age and just letting the funk grow? Thats what I am wondering. The Garrison Gibsons I was just wondering about because I need to get something to take out rather than the my old one... hmmm... The Composite Acoustics looks better and better everyday.

7. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

the Garrisons I've played at the Gibson showcase were all sub-par. lifeless and hard to play. Why Gibson bought them...I have no idea. All the Epiphone acoustics at the Showcase were very surprising to me. they all seem to be fairly nice!

8. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

So they can run them in the ground like all of the other companies they have taken over. It's their business model.

9. padavis

Yea some of their newest dreads have been nice!
    I have tried to steer a few friends that way when they were looking for a nice cheaper acoustic.

10. hank

hank Member

By buying Garrison, Gibson is getting its customers used to the "offshore", non-USA idea. Canada is too far "offshore", but they are not "Made in USA". Next up: China labelled Gibsons.

11. billygoat

billygoat Member

We're not offshore at all, we're joined to you!:NUTS

12. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Not one who's ready to consider that Gibson actually wanted to acquire the facility and personnel, and/or the molded-frame technology itself, so as to continue operation successfully?
    OK here's a wild card question: has anybody played Garrisons made before and after the deal, and are there differences? If they went downhill, then I could see somebody taking the notion that Gibson took them over to ensure that the Garrison would not undersell Gibson with an equal or preferable instrument.