Any thoughts on the new Gibson True Vintage LTD's?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Johnkenn, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Johnkenn

Johnkenn Member

They're making a J-45, SJ-200 and Hummingbird that look great - can't believe they're as cheap as they are. They've got the True Vintage one's but these are a Limited Edition with a few more bells and whistles...Martin's Golden Era's with the hide glue, etc are in the $5-6000 range...

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyl...-true-vintage/

2. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Hate to say it but the only way you are going to get old school Gibson tone is to buy an old Gibson or a Legend Series guitar (they are darn close).

A J-45 and a Hummingbird should have different sounds. The Hummingbird was an out and out attempt by Gibson to make a copy of a Martin dread. Biggest difference is the Hummingbirds, not unexpectedly, is they were brighter sounding guitars than the slope shouldered models.

From what I gather there isn't any real difference difference between The TV and the TV Ltd series other than some bling and price tag. For that kinda money I would seriously be looking at something in the Legend Series.

I would also recommend never buying a Bozeman-made Gibson you have not tried out or compared to others. They tend to be pretty inconsistent and I have run across more than few tinny or lifeless sounding guitars.

I would also suggest if ya get a chance to try out an AJ.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  3. Johnkenn

Johnkenn Member

I own a fantastic sounding AJ already...so this would be redundant...but damn - they look good. What is the Legend series? I've never heard of it...

4. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

The Legend Series is Gibson's attempt to actually build a true reissue of a guitar from the past. Their recently issued L-00, as example, is a copy of a 1930s L-00 borrowed from owner Leroy Parnell. Pretty expensive though.

5. Johnkenn

Johnkenn Member

Oh - it's the 1942 TV...and the L-00

6. groovadelic

groovadelic Member

The Hummingbird really isn't anything like a Martin - it has a shorter scale length and has mahogany b/s. The tone is dark and mellow in comparison to the punchier-vibrant J-45.

I think the AJ is more of Gibson's answer with it's long scale and rosewood b/s (Martin's flagship).

With regards to the TV's the premium in tone is the thinner bracing, in appearance are subtleties such as the double row MOP bridge on the SJ-200, higher grade woods, and binding over the frets. I believe it's they're attempt to answer the demannd for the higher end collectors (and those with fat wallets) who are in the market for those "boutique" guitars (available with other companies).

My biggest beef is that when Gibson moved to the modern classic it was somewhat of a downgrade to make room for the TVs - much of the aforementioned came stock before. So I'm happy with my '06 Hummingbird which I intentionally got while they were making room for the MC's and TV's.