Any thoughts on who's making the best boutique Teles these days?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by phoenix 7, Feb 6, 2008.

1. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

And are the Fender Custom Shop ones worth checking out?

2. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I don't know if there are Teles in this series, but I just picked up a 2007 NAMM super-relic '57 Strat that's right up there with my GVCG Tele and my real '65 Strat. A few of these have come through Mark's recently (if you look on Mark's site, mine is the fiesta red one) and they've all been excellent.

I also recently picked this 2001 Fender up:

[​IMG]

It's a Custom Shop one-off (has a few non-standard features) and it's a very nice guitar.

So, basically, I wouldn't write Fender off at all.

3. greeny

greeny Member

My tele hunt finished early last year. After trying hundreds of teles, including numerous Fender's up to custom shop level I didn't find anything that really did it for me.

I eventially settled on a Suhr and couldn't be happier.

4. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

With tele's my experience is that that you just have to find one that works for you, I don't think there is any one one brand that will give the assurance of having a tele you really like. I have tried Nash, Vinetto, Suhr, GVCG and Fender custom shop. It all boiled down to either a 96 cunetto tele or a secondhand master built john cruz 55 tele. In the end went with the cunetto that I spent a lot of time setting up to my liking and am very happy with. If I could have got the John Cruz as well I would have though.

5. codyj84

codyj84 Member

Are you wanting to go shiny new or relic?? If you like pretty, I have a friend that has a Suhr that plays beautifully and is gorgeous.... but thats not my thing. I prefer relics... and for that, everybody knows who I like.. Rocketfire.

I have yet to find a CS that was "it" for me... I've tried alot, believe me, but they just don't do it for me... Not sure why... Maybe because their quality control is limited to "one-offs". Everything else is up in the air. JMHO.

SUHR or ROCKETFIRE.

OR for somethin different you could go with Lentz... Really cool guitars.

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I think Leo would consider a boutique tele to be an oxymoron.....:D

7. codyj84

codyj84 Member

:rotflmaoGood call.

8. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I could not be more happy with my custom Suhrs. They have the neck carves, woods, radius, frets, pickups, colors, finish and switching I want/need. Being a lifelong Tele player, these are the best I've ever had. If you REALLY know what you want, get a guitar built to YOUR specs by the company of your choice.

[​IMG]

9. bearbike137

bearbike137 Supporting Member

+1.

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I'm completely happy with what I did: copped the best new '52 RI in D.C. (out of the 12-14 that I played), did many upgrades over time to it (many of which involved multiple experiments), now it's perfect for me. Process took me a couple of years and involved lots of dead ends before I learned exactly what I need. Today, I could probably order the right one off the bat but only because I paid my dues in this fashion. So ... if you know exactly what you want now, sure, go ahead and order it, but if not, consider finding a pick-of-the-litter Fender and have fun with it!

11. jeremym19

jeremym19 Member

it depends on what you are looking for a more modern tele or a vintage style tele?

modern I would go for a suhr or anderson or melancon etc,

vintage I would go Rice, Vinetto, K-line, Nash etc.

also consider relic or not?

12. A. Tad Askew

A. Tad Askew Member

Here's a vote for Jeff Senn. I took my Pomona to a friend who owns a guitar store where they sell a ton of Custom Shop Fenders. He A/B'd the Senn against 2 Custom Shop teles, one was a $15k Jeff Beck model. He said the Senn was every bit as good as the Beck model and much better than the "normal" $6k relic CS tele. When I told him what I paid for the Senn, his jaw hit the floor.

Tad

13. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

www.RiceCustomGuitars.com is a good place to start...

I also love my Tom Anderson Cobra and my Crook... and I can't wait to receive my Mel Cajun Gentleman!

14. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

According to the new Stevenson website, his T-Classic will "...enrich your life". I know mine has. I'm only half joking. It really is the coolest guitar I own. The new website is a welcome update for anyone wondering about Ted's stuff. http://www.stevensonguitars.com/tclassic.htm

Steve

15. Swampash

Swampash Member

At the risk of being slagged by the anti-D'Pergo sturmtroopers, D'Pergo would be my vote.

Bakersfield:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

or "contoured" Bakersfield:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Gigbag

Gigbag Member

Good points. For a modern T style, in addition to Suhr, etc., also consider US Master Guitar Works Super T.

17. duckbunny

duckbunny Member

I'm with you, John. It took years of fidgiting around to learn exactly what I like. I paid my dues with modded Fenders...made some nice guits and ruined a few too! I would say that if you know exactly what you want, Suhr, Nash, Melancon, etc. can all make you a great axe, but don't discount talented local smaller builders. My #1, and the best Tele I have ever owned or played, was made by a local luthier (Who, sadly, had a brain injury and can no longer make instruments). I treasure it.

-db

18. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Great looking guitars! Have you played one? I know many have played his S-style, but have not heard much about the T.

19. Swampash

Swampash Member

Yep Steve, I played one at last year's winter NAMM. I walked away wanting one of each...decided to start with the "S"-type first; but when funds allow, there's a contoured Bakersfield in my future.

BTW, the consenus among people who played that guitar was that it was amazing...one person (I honestly forget who) used the term spellbinding.

I think that "T"-type guitars, in general, have a somewhat smaller fan-base than the "S"-type. Moreover, since (just looking at the gallery on the D'Pergo website) Stefan has had more "S"-types ordered, there's more *buzz* about those.

Also, I might add that, almost as soon as there is a thread regarding peoples' actual experience with these guitars, the usual suspects show up and cause it to be nuked by the forum mods. It's too predictable to be considered coincidence. So the ability to go back and use the search function doesn't really turn up all of the posts that owners and/or people who have played them, have made.

20. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

Bill Chapin....Best T style 's in the world:AOK