Any thread on 9/11 Texas mattress commercial yet?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by the Tick, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

I agree. Perhaps given your statement above you might understand why many find the situation disrespectful and also find the flag itself to be representative of certain themes as well.

EricPeterson likes this.
  2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

People in the military deserve our utmost respect. My dad, for example, a career Air Force pilot, for my whole life growing up. My nephew, and his wife, both AF pilots. But the national anthem used to be a way to respect the whole country, not just people in the military. It's not the US military anthem, it's the national anthem.

Then various commercial interests, particularly sports teams, decided it would help their own image and commercial interests by referring to the military every time they played it. "Please stand and honor our troops etc. etc... " And many people have bought into it 100% and claim ownership of the anthem and what it means and represents. It doesn't seem to represent the people that Kapernick says he is supporting, even though they're Americans too. It's no longer our anthem, now it's their anthem, because they say so. They not only own it, they own you when it comes to how you want to see and observe the anthem.

I won't go into the Kap thing other tHan to say that on one thread on Facebook I found myself both defending him and criticizing him. And that there's no law that says he has to stand or can't kneel in protest, or NFL rule either. While he is certainly expressing himself, I'm not sure the first amendment even directly applies to what he's done. Who has tried to force him to not do what he's done? That's when the first amendment might come into play. Though I actually think the NFL in theory could legally make such a rule, though they'd never get it past the player's union.

3. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Perhaps he should hire you as his PR person. I have not heard him say what you assert he is asking. In fact, if you read the comments he has made, I think they have more to do with a certain, ongoing, widely propagated false narrative that has been discussed ad nauseam here in multiple other threads.
    As such, I'm out of here for now and look forward to the main thread topic continuing.

Jamalot likes this.
  4. Seth L

Seth L Member

That narrative is as real as it gets.

5. cj_wattage

cj_wattage Member

I LOL'd pretty hard. Glad I didn't have a beverage in my mouth when I read this.

standard24 likes this.
  6. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

How surprising. It is their money and they can do what they wish. My money will not go to support his behavior. It is simple how that works.

I see where Kapernick has pledged 1 million of his own money, but not anything about the team doing it.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2016...ck-1-million-donation-community-organizations

And of course no mention of the actual groups that "will be getting the money". As they say, actions speak louder than words.

7. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

If the troops feel disrespected, I go with their interpretation.

Jamalot likes this.
  8. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Stephen Colbert did a piece on it recently. Evidently it started around WW1 when the Chicago Cubs noticed it helped sell more tickets to games.

dzo, A-Bone and stevieboy like this.
  9. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I think Kap disrespects our Olympic gold medalists. Especially Michael Phelps, since he's had more of them played for him than anyone else has.

If he wasn't such a pot smoker people would be more indignant about this.

cj_wattage likes this.
  10. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

Plenty of Troops don't feel disrespected, there are "troops for Kaepernick" groups. I am also hesitant to say that just because someone in a group feels disrespected that suddenly all people in that group are disrespected, or to that was the intent of Kaep. To me this seems really similar to arguments people make against "PC" things, but for some reason those arguments fall by the wayside when troops are involved.

I think a better approach is to look at his actual words and intent, as he has expressed it, as opposed to meanings we knee jerk assign to his ambiguous action of sitting for the anthem.

StompBoxBlues, dzo, BADHAK and 9 others like this.
  11. krusty1053

krusty1053 Member

I thought the ad was kind of funny, and I don't think they intended to offend quite like they apparently have. Then again, I don't tend to take offense to much, if anything.

12. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

:spit

13. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

Dood....

sixstringfuel and A-Bone like this.
  14. CowTipton

CowTipton Member

That company is run by a bunch of morons
    And Kaepernick is a douchebag.

$0.02

Tele.com and ford like this.
  15. ford

ford Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

sometimes people just do really stupid things. This was one of those times.

sixstringfuel likes this.
  16. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Ok Seth, you are of course entitled to believe in whatever you want.
    I just took some time to find a balanced write up on this topic also deliberately located/editorially allowed inside a publication that usually leans the way I perceive you to lean after reading many of your past posts. I did that with the hope you might not automatically discount the facts within.
    Would you humor me and take five minutes to read it? I would be interested in your view on how the data do or do not support whether the narrative is indeed false.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ce-shootings-and-race/?utm_term=.3163bedd17e7

sundog964 likes this.
  17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Solution is simple. If you are bothered by things people do for attention, don't give it any attention.

If what the NFL players are doing bothers you, don't watch any games. When the ratings tank, they'll notice.

If what this TV ad says bother you, don't watch it and don't give it any publicity. In the end it all works itself out

18. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

Sorry I haven't got to read the whole article yet, but this quote stands out.

"Typically, activists and the media measure police actions against population ratios. Given that blacks are 13 percent of the nation’s population, a 26 to 28 percent black share of police gun fatalities looks disproportionate. But policing should be measured against crime rates, not population percentages, because law enforcement today is data-driven. Officers are deployed to where people are most being victimized, and that is primarily in minority neighborhoods."
    -----
    Why should we measure 'police actions' against crime rate and not population data, when the point BLM is making is those very crime rates are skewed by the difference in the actions the police take depending on the race of the subject? The data is immediately compromised.

If this is the same study* we have discussed on other threads, then my second problem is this. The study was based on police action when violence was justified. The point BLM is making is that the black population is over represented in situations where violence was not justified.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I read further and this part was correct.

I'll try to make time to read the rest after rehearsal tonight.

*if this is a different study, I apologize.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    the Tick and LDS22 like this.
  19. 9520575

9520575 Member

Ugh, nationalism....

BADHAK, wilto, clamflatslim and 5 others like this.
  20. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Please read the entire piece.
    Also, regarding measurement considering crime rates versus solely population data, it's critical to the interpretation of the data. For example, if we can take race out of this discussion for a moment, how would one determine whether police shootings were relatively high or low in comparing multiple cities without examining crime rates? I'm sure there are plenty of population equivalent # towns, with town X having almost no violent crimes while town Y has some of the most in the country. Would one not expect there to be more officer involved shootings in town Y?