Any thread on 9/11 Texas mattress commercial yet?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by the Tick, Sep 9, 2016.

1. DetSlicker

DetSlicker Member

2. Jamalot

Jamalot Member

:rolleyes: That's because they're watching ads. The anthem is usually not aired on the TV broadcast. Even if it were, (e.g. Super Bowl), there has never been any tradition of the TV audience standing during it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    gtrplr71 likes this.
  3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

The whole thing is really bizarre/stupid. From what I understand, it never aired?
    Someone involved leaked it?

It was being shared in FB in real time, but that one clip.

Funny, I've never heard of this store before, and I came home, turned on the tv at 3am and there's a commercial for this place! I different one...

4. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

The one article linked here says it was a "social media" ad. I guess that means it was intended for Facebook and/or Twitter and all, not TV. But that's potentially a big audience. This is of course a new approach to advertising, interesting from that point of view, unrelated to the specifics of this case. You can produce something like that with a smartphone camera and little else technically, and it can cost pretty much nothing to produce. Of course, it still requires a minimum of thought, which this particular ad couldn't have received, and the cost turned out to be pretty high.

27sauce and Jamalot like this.
  5. 27sauce

27sauce Member

That's what's odd to me, they run TV ads, the one I saw last night was for a sale this weekend.

I'm guessing it was a stunt that they didn't have the balls to go all the way with, and it backfired.

6. stevieboy

Maybe, but also businesses run different campaigns on different media at the same time.

Radio ads different from TV ads for example. One mattress company here has a set of characters on radio ads ("You're killing me, Larry!" for people who recognize it) that don't appear on their TV ads ("... or your mattress is FREEEEE!")

I wonder if the lady in the ad didn't just make it on her own, maybe she's the "social media person" which many businesses have now, not necessarily their only job, and she's not connected to the making of TV ads. That kind of a job is probably relatively unsupervised. Is she (or was she!!!) on TV ads?

A-Bone and 27sauce like this.
  7. 27sauce

27sauce Member

The lady in the ad is the daughter of the owner.

8. stevieboy

Not any more!!!

27sauce likes this.
  9. Billy Moss

Billy Moss Member

There is a right time and a wrong time to whine and during the National Anthem it is not the right time.

Anyway, I hope they all lose their endorsements and their jobs.

10. 27sauce

27sauce Member

My wife and I are discussing it now, she works for a production company that does a lot of local tv ads. She says the word/opinion around the campfire was that it was inspired by the Kaepernick thing!

Controversial situation that would go viral, cause outrage, divide, attract supporters, and lead to business. Wow?!

They produce their own ads.

11. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

Are you sure? It looks like it was done by a professional agency.

12. stevieboy

FWIW, I just looked at Facebook and a mattress ad came up on my feed, with no one liking it or sharing it or whatever, just a paid ad.

It's just like the ones I've seen on TV though, and they use a cute young woman for the spokesperson. And no 9/11 content!

27sauce likes this.
  13. 27sauce

27sauce Member

No, I'm not sure. Which one? I don't know anything other than what my wife just told me.

14. stevieboy

It doesn't look particularly professional to me. But if a business makes a lot of ads, they can set up an in house department that can produce professional looking ads. It's not that hard considering that the business will be making similar ads all the time, and inside their stores often. They can tailor a setup to their specific needs.

Again, I have to think that very few people were involved here. A professional agency would have the sense to tell her how stupid the idea was and how disastrous it would be.

15. Darby Crash

Darby Crash Member

Well I just assumed it had to be done by a professional agency because of the stellar production values.

27sauce likes this.
  16. 27sauce

27sauce Member

Yeah, you never know. There are more production companies here than you(I) would think. None of the bigger ones that usually do this kind of stuff(good or bad) know anything about it.

The dad and original store is based out of Houston. The daughter in the ad operates the one here.

17. stevieboy

Facetiousness noted. I thought maybe the first post was too, but wasn't sure.

27sauce likes this.