Any tips to make a Whammy 4 not sound like garbage?

Ok, so I bought a Whammy 4. I got a good deal on it.
Here's what I like: some okay sounds doing momentary 2 octave jumps.
What I don't like: it just doesn't sound right. I re-calibrated it 4 times and it still sounds like a warped record or a bad setting on a ring mod.
The dive bomb sound nothing like a dive bomb. There is no sweep at all. It just goes from dry sound to fart.
When I read that something "doesn't track perfectly," I assume it is a bit glitchy and I'm familiar with the Radiohead warble but come on!
I don't even want to use the harmonizer. I just want to use 1 or 2 octaves up mode in the heel up position and have it sound reasonably in tune.
Now I hear "it's not an intelligent pitch shifter."
Okay, how do I make this unintelligent thing not sound like crap?

AnalogKid85

Get the 5, you won't regret it :) The CHORDS mode is noticeably different (and better!) now for doing polyphonic stuff too--I love coming up with new chords with the +/- 4th/5th harmony modes...what else...true bypass and some new pitch shifter intervals too. Can't go wrong!

Twinattack

Get the 5, you won't regret it :) The CHORDS mode is noticeably different (and better!) now for doing polyphonic stuff too--I love coming up with new chords with the +/- 4th/5th harmony modes...what else...true bypass and some new pitch shifter intervals too. Can't go wrong!
Fo shizzle! The 5 is badass. I owned an original forever and loved it but I find I'm using more modes on the 5 because it is such a great improvement.

gearmeup

The 5 still kinda sucks ....... I've had the 3 and the 4 twice bought the 5 and returned it I might just not be a wammy guy idk

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way
Gold Supporting Member
^^ I'd say if you had the V and thought it sucked, you are not a Whammy guy. I love mine, and it won't be leaving any time soon.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

mattg2123

I had the same heel up and never quite in tune issue. I kept thinking it was the calibration and re-calibrating it over and over. Was thinking about flipping it and looking every where for a solution. Eventually found that the rubber stoppers under the treadle front and back should be pulled off. Did this and never had an issue again. The whammy 4 doesn't have the 5's tracking improvements or chord mode, though I kind of like the glitchyness and will be keeping mine for a while yet.

I had the same heel up and never quite in tune issue. I kept thinking it was the calibration and re-calibrating it over and over. Was thinking about flipping it and looking every where for a solution. Eventually found that the rubber stoppers under the treadle front and back should be pulled off. Did this and never had an issue again. The whammy 4 doesn't have the 5's tracking improvements or chord mode, though I kind of like the glitchyness and will be keeping mine for a while yet.
Thanks. I'll try it.

nb2rock

I've got the HOG2 and the Whammy V. I bought the Hog 2 in hopes of replacing the whammy v, and have a few extra options. Both are still on my board, I can't sell the Whammy V quite yet; the thing tracks notes better than my girlfriend can track cash spent on pedals.

Squeakys

You may want to look at a Whammy DT as well - I went shopping for the V and ended up bring the DT home.

AnalogKid85

You may want to look at a Whammy DT as well - I went shopping for the V and ended up bring the DT home.
I just got the Whammy V but I'm thinking about saving up for the DT now--that momentary pitch shifting mode is too cool! I could definitely see myself using that for either a 2nd, 4th, or a 5th in either direction for some really fast pitch shifting, almost like a kill switch but it's a "pitch switch" :) Definitely would be useful for dubstep, but I could see myself using it in a lot of other situations too.

Trending Topics