• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any tips to make a Whammy 4 not sound like garbage?

Faldoe

Whammy V is "better" in many ways but the IV is very cool. It depends on how you use it. It has glitchyness which sounds awesome, if you like that. Also, depends on your skill of playing and usage.

Faldoe

please elaborate... I'm confused :huh

How does your skill relate to how the Whammy IV sounds ?
If you're trying to pull off chords or something - in harmony or pitch shifting modes, its not gonna sound "good" - good in the sense of being polyphonically together/tracking perfectly. Though that sound can be appealing, depending on your playing style and or musical tastes/interests.

If you do whammy bends, same thing.

I've heard lots of people use the whammy iv and it sounds great.

Lullabies

If you're trying to pull off chords or something - in harmony or pitch shifting modes, its not gonna sound "good" - good in the sense of being polyphonically together/tracking perfectly. Though that sound can be appealing, depending on your playing style and or musical tastes/interests.

If you do whammy bends, same thing.

I've heard lots of people use the whammy iv and it sounds great.
Ahh I see. Yeah I have heard alot of bands including Queens of the Stone Age using the Whammy 4. It sounds good to me ! but I kinda like the glitchyness with pitch bending.. I find its not as stiff and bright as the Polyphonic mode on the Whammy V.. Luckily the whammy v has the classic mode though too

Squeakys

I just got the Whammy V but I'm thinking about saving up for the DT now--that momentary pitch shifting mode is too cool!
I have found it to be a fun and useful feature. I have to be careful not to go overboard with it though.

ondadl

I've got the HOG2 and the Whammy V. I bought the Hog 2 in hopes of replacing the whammy v, and have a few extra options. Both are still on my board, I can't sell the Whammy V quite yet; the thing tracks notes better than my girlfriend can track cash spent on pedals.
Between the HOG2 and the V, which has less suck when engaged?

Faldoe

Ahh I see. Yeah I have heard alot of bands including Queens of the Stone Age using the Whammy 4. It sounds good to me ! but I kinda like the glitchyness with pitch bending.. I find its not as stiff and bright as the Polyphonic mode on the Whammy V.. Luckily the whammy v has the classic mode though too
Yeah. I was thinking of getting a IV as they seem to go around $70-80 often, but I got a V for a good deal in the emporium and its a great pedal! The classic and chords modes are great.

I wish DT had some kind of preset/saving option because I'd like to have a few presets that use different settings in different modes - classic and chords.

nb2rock

Between the HOG2 and the V, which has less suck when engaged?

I haven't noticed suck from either. I think the HOG2 has more noise and a more digital sound, but is way more versatile and powerful. The whammy v tracking is better and very clean when playing chords.

Maybe I'm not noticing suck because of the buffers in my chain. It's hard to say

UPDATE!!: So I took the rubber feet off for a night and day difference!
I can use the harmony mode now! It's hilarious that Digitech put those feet on there without realizing it effected the sweep of the pedal.
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't have to run out and buy a Whammy 5 now.

Last edited:

Lullabies

I can use the harmony mode now! It's hilarious that Digitech put those feet on there without realizing it effected the sweep of the pedal.
Can't tell if sarcastic ... or crazy..

Can't tell if sarcastic ... or crazy..
I'm puzzled as to why you would think it would be sarcastic or crazy to be thankful after figuring out that the rubber feet affect the pedal sweep to cause it to sound out of tune. Or is it sarcastic/crazy to wonder why Digitech didn't notice this issue to begin with?

AnalogKid85

I wish DT had some kind of preset/saving option because I'd like to have a few presets that use different settings in different modes - classic and chords.
I think the Whammy DT only operates in "Chords" mode, even if it doesn't say--I think they actually developed that for the Whammy DT to facilitate all the drop-tuning, and the polyphonic capability that one would expect to go along with that. I did check the MIDI spec for both the Whammy V and the DT though, and the V does allow you to call up any pitch-shifting interval in either mode, Classic or Chords! So you'd just need a MIDI footswitch to do this, a little programming and you're good...it even lets you choose whether or not you want to call up the preset bypassed or active! On the DT, the MIDI spec allows you to call up different settings for both sides of the pedal, and each side can be active or bypassed--almost like two different pedals! So even if you can't store the presets inside, you can definitely store them "outside" at least. I will be looking for one like the Tech 21 MIDI Mouse soon for my Whammy V, because I'm using about 5-6 different modes on it ALL the time! Classic AND Chords, because for some settings (harmonies, octaves bends, downtune, etc.) I like how the Chords mode can preserve the original sound better, but for some modes like 2nd Down, I prefer Classic because there is slightly less latency at it just feels a tad more "real" (a whole step in classic mode is not devastating for chords either, since it's such a short distance).

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm puzzled as to why you would think it would be sarcastic or crazy to be thankful after figuring out that the rubber feet affect the pedal sweep to cause it to sound out of tune. Or is it sarcastic/crazy to wonder why Digitech didn't notice this issue to begin with?
When re-calibrating the Whammy IV, if you press down too hard then the rubber will spring back and cause The Whammy to go sharp. For heavy footed people we often recommend re-calibrating with a dime under the pads, then removing when done. This compensates for the springiness of the pads.

When re-calibrating the Whammy IV, if you press down too hard then the rubber will spring back and cause The Whammy to go sharp. For heavy footed people we often recommend re-calibrating with a dime under the pads, then removing when done. This compensates for the springiness of the pads.
Thanks. I took the pads off though. Which made for a noticeable improvement.

mattg2123

Glad it worked for you too! It's kind of crazy they kept them on there. I tried calibrating as soft as possible and made no difference until I ripped them off. What's with the coin idea? The feet don't help with anything.

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
Glad it worked for you too! It's kind of crazy they kept them on there. I tried calibrating as soft as possible and made no difference until I ripped them off. What's with the coin idea? The feet don't help with anything.
It helps with the feel, smacking metal against metal doesn't feel very good. The coin gives a higher full heel position so when it is removed, the treadle goes a little lower than it was calibrated, basically accomplishing the same thing as removing the feet.

skudmunky

I just calibrated my Whammy IV with my hands, leaving a bit of extra room at each end of the sweep. Worked perfectly for me.

If I buy a Whammy V then I'll have a XP-100, IV, and V and that is just entirely too much.

rck

Silver Supporting Member
I just calibrated my Whammy IV with my hands, leaving a bit of extra room at each end of the sweep. Worked perfectly for me.

If I buy a Whammy V then I'll have a XP-100, IV, and V and that is just entirely too much.
So you kept the IV? Any particular reasons?

I am thinking of keeping my IV and also getting a V (the chords setting looks dynamite)!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom