Any Toadworks love?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fifthstone, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I've already searched TGP and I already have a Mr. Squishy. I like it well enough ... after all it's just a compressor. I'm developing GAS though for the Li'l Leo (they have great clips on their site), but am hesitating based on some mixed reviews on here and on Harmony Central.

Is there a reason Toadworks doesn't get much love? Are they not cutting it tone-wise? What's the word?

2. Rockin J

Rockin J Member

I have a Redux delay. I ordered it without hearing it first. It's sound is OK but not great. Some weird control features also. Needless to say it not getting any use.

3. move

move Member

I have love for the John Bull overdrive.

sometimes i wonder if Toadworks would be more popular around here if he doubled his prices...know what i mean?

the phantasm is cool too, but i never use phaser, so i don't own one.

4. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I'm all set on Brit flavors for now, thanks. I know what you mean about price and perception, but I don't think they're priced THAT low.

5. bmorelli

bmorelli Member

i have a toadworks mad dog fuzz that i've been pretty happy with. it's less "fuzz face" and more "rat" if you know what i mean

6. muddy

muddy Member

i got rid of my old redux because i knew of the v2, which has a lower noise floor (which was my only beef). it's an awesome delay, very sensuous. i'm dying to get that one. the phantasm looks AWESOME, & i'd love to try the flanger. he's got a great slant on delay/modulation kinda peds, fairly unique. i like the way he thinks.

ml

7. JohnK24

JohnK24 Supporting Member

I had the original issue Redux and I hated it. With my one spot daisy chain it whined and hummed and hissed. The more I increased the level of the effect, the worse it got. I tried it with battery, very same thing...I sold it in a week. Replaced it with a Digidelay...much more useful and no noise !

8. FleaRadical

FleaRadical Member

I had a Death Rattle. It seemed like a good idea, Tweed & Plexi in one pedal. Unfortunately the Plexi channel was too grainy for my ears. I kinda liked the Tweed channel, but it didn't quite have enough gain. I finally ended up with a Lovepedal Purple Plexi and Tweed Twin and I'm happy....for now.

9. thewheelies

thewheelies Member

Meat, Death Rattle and Mad Dog all have permanent spots on my board.
    They sound great to my ears and draw compliments from people I work with, so that's good enough for me.

10. MrSage

MrSage Member

Exactly.

Make original, affordable boutique effects and you'll fly under the radar with the TGP crowd. Make YATSC (yet another tubescreamer clone ;) ), goop it up, and slap a big pricetag on there and the TGP world will coming knocking down your door.

11. MrSage

MrSage Member

Amazing.

You know, Toadworks discovered that some of the original-issue Redux pedals had some hum, so they overhauled the circuit and offered a FREE upgrade to the V2 low-noise circuit.

No one sent their pedal in for the upgrade. Instead, people just complained about noise!

Which reminds me...I still need to send my Enveloope in for an upgrade. (Not for noise, by the way. I think they just install some extra mojo or something. That's a kickass little pedal...)

12. muddy

muddy Member

DAMN! why didn't i know about that! i woulda kept my redux & sent it in for the upg. DAY-om! god, i'm an idiot... ah, forgot about that one. i've wanted a 'loope for yonks. such a kewl idea.

ml

13. BmoreTele

BmoreTele Member

I have played and enjoyed the Mr. Ed and the Mr. Squishy. The Phantasm, Enveloope, Barracuda, and Redux all show very creative thinking. At one point the Mr. Ed was THE "hot pedal of the moment."

I think Toadworks has had a few spots of bad luck and maybe bad timing. They also have restructured their pricing several times and do not sell direct.

It's a jungle out here.

14. MrSage

MrSage Member

The Enveloope is wicked cool.

The Phantasm looks like everything you could ever want in a phase pedal. I'd love to get my hands on one of those at some point.

15. silverface63

silverface63 Member

I just bought a True bypass box for my Boomerang last week. It's my first Toadworks and seems to be pretty solid.

16. Don L

Don L Member

Waiting for their Barracuda Flanger...

17. nibus

nibus Silver Supporting Member

I've played a bunch of Toadworks pedals. Lil' leo, john bull, redux, and meat. To tell you the truth, i wasn't really impressed with any of them. The Lil' Leo was the best, definitely had a fender vibe to it. The others I wasn't so impressed with. Good for the price, but I think there is better out there.

18. niko

niko Member

Is there any pedal similar to the enveloope :) ?

19. joeysmac

joeysmac Member

I've got a Redux on the way, and I'm pretty stoked about it (i got it used, so I didn't have to pay full price). I'm not planning on using it for any lead-delay or anything, mostly ambient stuff...from all the complaints I've heard about it being weird, I think it will do the job. We'll see....

20. Iversen

Iversen Member

It's definately one of the few original pedals to come out in a long, long time. In fact it's so original that you'll have a hard time figuring out how and where to use it... I know do. I get how it works, but I can't imagine where to apple that effect and what to put in in it.

How do you use yours? :munch