any treble booster fans?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sabbath90, Aug 2, 2006.

1. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

who else is in love with their treble boost pedals? my analogman beano is never off with my ac-30. it sounds especially great with my les paul jr. what amps and guitars do you like yours with? i've definately found my sound with this pedal, but what are other cool treble boosts out there? underappreciated effect compared to the TS808 sound IMO.

2. johndara

johndara Member

I have a couple that I prefer. The MJM RM Boost is an excellent treble/full range boost. The other I use quite often is the Phoenix Custom Electronics Ranger..Treble,mid and full range boost. I actually prefer it over the Keeley Java Boost, just more sweeter sounding. I'm using mine with a Les Paul and a B.C. Rich Mockingbird. Treble boosters seem to sound better with humbuckers at least to my ears.

3. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I've always wondered if a treble booster is just a humbucker thing. I'm a die hard Strat player and I've never found a use for one.

4. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Brian May used a Treble Booster Circut with single coils and an AC30.

5. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

EL84 + Treble Booster = tone of the gods. I loved the treble booster on the BYOC Triboost I had, I may pick up the Keeley one in the near future.

6. Cussion

Cussion Member

I've borrowed an Analogman Sun Lion. It has a very distinct and cool sound.
    But with my Marshall I actually prefer the Colorbooster (overdriver clone).

Rangemaster type pedals don't seem to go very well together with lots of gain from the amp.

7. MemphisCR

MemphisCR Member

Check out the BSM website. They've got a bunch of different ones. I use the standard RM model through both a Tophat and Germino and it sounds great. I've also built a few. There's a great how to article on building a handwired unit on the GEOFEX website that's so easy even a moron such as I was able to do it. I've found a supplier in Germany who has NOS Phillips OC44s and OC76s (transisitors) and sourced everything else from either Mouser electronics or Antiques Electronic Supply. Costs around $40 to build and takes just a few hours. Plus by slightly changing resisitor and cap values and by using different transistor gain values you can make a a couple of pedals with different tone and gain characteristics.

8. Franklin

Franklin Member

I love my Sunlion's Beano Boost with my Deluxe Reverb!

9. nsriley

nsriley Member

I use my Analog Man Beano Boost all the time. I use it to boost the 'plexi' channel on my amp. Mainly I use it with humbuckers or p-90's. Gives me the best early Zeppelin or Cream tone I've ever been able to get!

-Peace
    -nate

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

How 'bout Keef Richards on "Sympathy For the Devil" solo? Sounds like Tele bridge pickup, Fender "bright" channel with a rangemaster... but the ice-pick sounds great for the tune...

I like my Hellbilly, which can cover some treble booster ground. Love EC using the rangemaster on Beano album.

11. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I have the Plosive Dual (Vox/May) treble booster on my big board. You can change between the sounds with at stomp switch instead of a mini toggle. It's not germanium, but I think it sounds great with my Mesa Nomad and Les Paul. It really makes the 6L6 amp sound like an EL34 amp. And I like the ability to switch sounds within the same song without having to bend over!

I have two of the HBE Germanias too. I pulled them out of retirement to use on my smaller board. One is the original, one sound model, and the other has the switch for HiFi/LoFi. They really sound very different from each other. The original is more for bright top end boosting, and the switchable one is better when used like an overdrive. I play this board mostly with a Reverend Kingsnake combo.

12. fatback

fatback Member

Pro Analog - Boost Royale

This is one of my current favorite pedals. It has separate gain and voice controls, besides the volume control, making it much more than just a treble booster... although it does that amazingly as well. I love how it turns my mellow Vox into a fire-breathing beast, without sacrificing clarity or harmonics. :D

here's a clip of the B.R. in action with my Tele.:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6165806377891859454&hl=en

Scotty just couldn't contain the techicolor tones of this little monster within its shell. ;)
    [​IMG]

I just got this Element 32 PTP Rangemaster off of the TGP Manufactures Emporium last week. It doesn't have the versatility of the Boost Royale, but it's tone and voicing are very sweet and vocal. This guy just killed the old original Rangemasters I've tried in the past which seem sickly and harsh in comparison.

[​IMG]

Between these two flavors, I feel well set for treble boosters.

13. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

Just received a Beano Boost I purchased from a forumite. Haven't had the chance to put it through it's paces yet. Missed having a Treble Booster. Had a Toneman and a Big Tone Brewery in the past.

14. Filter428

Filter428 Member

Blackmore used a Hornby Skewes treble booster. BSM makes a clone called an HS and an HS-C. The C stands for custom and it has a side mounted volume knob. Try it...you might like it! I've got a Pro Analog Top Boost that is an awesome booster along with a few BSM's, an HBE Germania, a Toneman booster and a Phoenix Tonemaster. All killer tb's.

15. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

I've been in love with my HBE Germania for a few years now until I started using the Germacide. I still consider it a Treble Booster though even though it's deemed a "Multi-Frequency" Booster. I use the pedal just one click counter clockwise to the full blown Treble Booster setting. The Germania sounds great but the added versatility of the Germacide comes in extremely handy. With certain amps, guitars and venues you might be playing ... the germania might be too much. The Germacide gives you some control over these factors. Too bad HBE doesn't make them anymore. IMO we should all email HBE on the same day demanding they make them again. A pedal I really dig though does a similar effect but technically is not a treble booster. The Menatone Red Snapper with it's cut and bite controls will achieve a similar effect but more natural sounding and more transparent. Set the cut low and bite high and there you go. Not as nasally sounding as a Treble Booster but that can be bad or good depending on what you're shooting for.

16. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Cornish TB-83 Extra fanatic here. Best one i've tried...lost count of how many exactly...?? :)

17. M Hossa

M Hossa Member

Die hard Strat player here too.:BEER
    Ritchie Blackmore used Hornby-Skewes treble booster with Strats at seventies and I think he has the best guitar sound ever.
    I have another Hornby-Skewes clone coming soon. Can't wait to try it with my Matamp.

18. Renardm

Renardm Member

I am interested in getting a treble booster but I have a few questions. Can you use it with a distortion pedal or does it need to be used with a clean or relatively clean amp? Does the treble booster actually add gain? I really love the Clapton Beano tone.

19. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

They push an already overdriven amp and/or pedal into a cool feel/tone. They fare poorly and generally sound raspy into clean amps. It is a type of germanium fuzz, but gives wonderful edge/articulation/boost into the right set-up.

20. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I love running my Beano Boost (in my Sunlion) into OD pedals, really thickens it up and takes off a bit of edge. It DOES add crunchy gain if you turn it up, even into a clean amp. But best when it pushes or "overdrives" the amp to make it sing.

btw I think that was Pagey playing that trebly tele in Sympathy for the devil solo. Maybe just into a cranked Fender silverface amp? Sure is a piercing sound.

"get down jimmy"