Any tricks to deal with a twisted neck?

I stupidly bought a Gretsch Electromatic from amazon a couple weeks ago.

I've discovered that the neck bows unevenly. If I have the high E string side of neck flat, there is a significant concave bow on the bass strings, naturally if I adjust the truss rod to take out the bow on the bass strings, the neck becomes a bit convex on the treble strings. I can't really perceive the convex bow by eyeballing it but the notes on the first 3 frets become unplayable with buzz, fretting out with the action set at 2mm at the 12th fret. The guitar is playable with lower high E string action and the bass string side set to a concave bow, but those get buzzy and unplayable up around the 7th-8th fret.

Would having a higher nut help solve this? I've had really bad luck with the quality of work done at the guitar shops local to me so I'm not sure of what to do for sending it to a professional to take a gander.

I would, but I wasn't smart enough to keep the box and the protective film on the pickups has been removed. Sam Ash said they'd take it back but I know they'll give me like 50% of what I paid for it because of that.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
No factory warranty? If its defective why can't you return it?

Making changes to the nut won't help in any way. You need to send it back as defective, and insist on a full refund - you're returning it because it's faulty, not just because you don't like it.

Ronsonic

First and best option: Send it back. They sold a defective product and will make good on it. This isn't about the stupid plastic film, it's about a guitar that's going to get it's logo carved off and sent to the knackers.

Next: send it to an authorized service center for repair under warranty. If it's really that bad, they will send it back and get a replacement shipped.

One way or another it's going back. You, as the buyer have more and better recourse with the seller than you do with the manufacturer. And you have more clout with the manufacturer than the service center has.

bob-i

How much is "significant"? I like my guitars to have a tad more relief on the bass side than the treble.

I measure like this...

Capo the first fret, hold down the high E at the 15 th fret. If it just touches all the frets the neck is straight. Now check the low E, at the 7th fret if I can slip a business card under without lifting the string it's correct.

thegoochie

A twisted neck can be made true but it is a very involved process and costly. If you have any recourse to get rid of the guitar do so.
Otherwise you need a luthier to take the neck off, the fingerboard off and "heat set" the neck straight and then rebuild it. It's a time consuming process that involves patience. But is doable.

Good luck

bob-i

I would, but I wasn't smart enough to keep the box and the protective film on the pickups has been removed. Sam Ash said they'd take it back but I know they'll give me like 50% of what I paid for it because of that.
Then it should go back to Gretsch. You have a warranty, use it.

Ron Daniels

My newphew's Strat had this issue, but when I adjusted the truss rod tighter, the gap between high e bow and low e bow closed up to within acceptable limits.

You can give this a try, but it's a long shot. Remember... always only go 1/4 turn on the truss rod and then give it a few hours to settle in before you adjust again.

Trending Topics