Any Ukulele Players Here on TGP?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by PedalFreak, Dec 21, 2009.

1. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Anyone play the ukulele as a serious instrument here? What kind ok uke do you play? How long have you been playing?

It's my 2nd instrument, w/ guitar being the 1st of course. Right now I've got a Bushman Jenny Tenor, pretty nice for the money saving up for a Custom Tenor from G String Ukuleles.

To me its a great time for ukulele players, a lot of GREAT players out there that are really pushing the instrument and helping it be more than just a "Tiptoe thru the Tulips" instrument.

2. SGNick

SGNick Member

I just noodle on mine, a small soprano one, borrowed it from a friend 2 years ago... hahaha!

3. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

4. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I play from time to time.

I do Pent-up House (in the wrong key). I've learned Israel Kamakawiwo’ole's "Over the Rainbow."

5. snarkle

snarkle Member

I think my repertoire now extends to "Oh Susanna", the "Deliverance" theme, "When the Saints Go Marchin' In", "Deck the Halls", and, ah, "Blue Monk".

Ms. Snarkle is working on "Tangled Up In Blue"...inspired by one of our neighbours, a former Nashville songwriter who's actually a pretty decent uke player, she wants to learn a bunch of Dylan tunes on the uke.

Uke GAS hasn't quite hit yet, but I'm pretty happy with my old Martin koa model...

6. billconnorsfan

billconnorsfan Member

Being in Honolulu, Ukulele is a prerequisite for doing any kind of gigging here. I play a Pono Baritone ukulele made by Ko'olau Ukuleles. There are quite a few AWESOME builders here.

Kamaka- The Golden Standard
    Ko'olau/Pono- Great Custom Shop/Instruments (former SCGC employees here too!)
    Koaloha- Although a newer company, these sound much like "larger/tonally richer" versions of the instruments that they appear to be.

And a host of others. Do check them all out and don't think that you have to settle AT ALL when looking into a new instrument.

Take care! :aok

7. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Yeah, I know John & Andrew. Great guys, and the Pono line is AWESOME!

8. Betos

Betos Member

I've got a bunch of Hawaiian friends here in California. My buddy has a G-string tenor - amazing sound (looks nice too!). That's the one that got me into playing the uke. Such a nice relaxing sound if you just want to kick back and strum.

I have a no -name handmade uke I bought off ebay. I got lucky - it sounds great. Loses intonation at the higher end of the neck though.

All great choices! I was really impressed with Pono - great bang for the buck Uke. I'm really interested in Ko'Aloha - I've been hearing lots of good things about them but haven't seen one in person yet. I'm waiting to go back to Hawaii to buy another one.

Why the hate for Jake? He's a nice guy, great performer, and excellent player. I don't understand how you can call anyone's playing unnecessary - what does that even mean?

~Betos

9. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

Check out Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (Brudda Iz) if you want to hear some great uke with an unbelievable voice.

10. Zelmo

Zelmo Member

Ever hear of Maui Music ukes? They were building and then had a fire some years ago. Just wondered if they rebuilt and got going again.

11. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

12. EJW

EJW Member

I've been playing mostly guitar lately (Howard Roberts Fusion in the background), but I used to play this quite a bit. I busted it out again since I bought a little blue Mahalo uke for my wife. The Mahalo had pretty bad intonation initially, but I was able to fix that by lowering its nut. Her Mahalo plays pretty well now.

[​IMG]

13. Tomo

Tomo Member