Any Unleash users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by telewacker, Mar 4, 2015.

1. telewacker

telewacker Member

I just bought one on the Emporium and am curious as to people's opinions pro and con. I have a 20 watt 2xEL84 1x12 combo with a 65 watt Scumback M75 that I really enjoy playing on smaller gigs, until it runs out of headroom if the band gets too loud. Im hoping with the unleash I'll lhave the headroom available while retaining the same tone and feel. I also have a Gibson Falcon that I never gig with because it is underpowered but it sounds, and especially feels, great. I'm also hoping the Unleash might make this amp a viable option.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, me. I'm an Unleash user. Do an advanced search on my user name and put in Unleash, you'll probably find my posted/review from a couple of years back.

Can't remember if I started a thread or not, but try that search option, too. :aok

3. telewacker

telewacker Member

I see you use it with a 2x6V6 Gibson too. Very cool. Thanks Jim. :aok

4. Rhomco

Rhomco Silver Supporting Member

To reamp up the headroom/wattage on my 5 watt Swart STR to push it to 100 watts when I want it. It works quite well in a larger cab but stuffing a 100 watt speaker into a small 1-12 combo cab like the little Swart did not yield a great tone. Louder is not necessarily better when it comes to tone.
    Rob

5. telewacker

telewacker Member

With the 20 watt 1x12 I'm really looking to make it a 40 or 50 watt amp with the existing speaker so hopefully the result will be the same tone with more headroom when needed.

6. telewacker

telewacker Member

Yes that is my intended usage.

7. ked

ked Supporting Member

Bought one about a month ago. I couldn't get a decent test on it because the speakon connection was intermittent and I was afraid of blowing my OT or the Unleash. Sent it back.

8. telewacker

telewacker Member

Are they fixing it and returning it or are you done?

9. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I've been a fan since I got mine as well. I use it with my Fender Deluxe Reverb - also a 2x 6V6 amp. Works and sounds great.

10. the tourist

the tourist Member

I love my Unleash. It's also great for other types of use like playing through my Mac with a DAW and an Apogee Duet. Use the output on the Duet into the Effects Loop Return on the Unleash and then send that out into a monitor.

11. ked

ked Supporting Member

I sent it back for a refund.

12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

If you heard that old Gibson GA-8 through a 4x12 with M75-PVC's and the Unleash around 11 for chords and 1-2pm for the boost volume, you'd swear it was Humble Pie "Rocking the Fillmore" with a Les Paul.

And two 4x12's? Forgetaboutit.

13. jb2

jb2 Member

U bought one and now asking about reviews? I seen version 2 has few added features headphone out and did away with speakon out. I just got a 1 st version. Have t put thru all paces but pretty cool so far. I used it to attentuator fender like head I just built. Crank the amp for saturation and used the badcat to tolerable home volume. Effects loops nice. I would think the cab your pushing certainly going to make difference. I pushed it thru various 2 x 12 cabs. The EJ 2 x 12 diy seemed to win out for the tone I was looking for. Hope u enjoy yours.

14. 8len8

8len8 Member

There are a bunch of Unleash threads if you use the search engine. I've been successfully using mine for about a year now for both attenuation and solo volume boosting. Before the Unleash I used an Ultimate Attenuator (a similar thing).

15. telewacker

telewacker Member

I did read some threads before I bought it but I always like to hear from people that might have something to say that weren't users at the time old threads were started. Just trying to stay current.

16. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I use mine and will never part with it! I play on a Bad Cat Mini Cat II (5 watts & 12" speaker) and to be able to run the power up to 80 watts is a game changer in that I can use my amp at home, in a small pub, in a Ballroom or outdoors and the tone of the amp is excellent when I crank up the watts. Using the effects loop will give studio quality sound because your delays, reverb and Tremolo are all after the amp just like in a studio. The boost feature is nice too. I love walking into a gig with my guitar in a Mono gigbag on my back and a small amp in one hand and another bag with my effects, cords, picks etc. It makes set-up and tear down so easy and simple.
    This is my rig:

Guild Starfire IV > Tuner > Wah > Klon > Mini Cat II > Unleash (with El Capistan & Flint in the loop)

17. telewacker

telewacker Member

I also have a really nice TW Express clone that I don't gig with because it really is only good for one volume range and can't really be used with verb or delay...just not a practical gigging amp, but with the unleash that all changes I think.

18. Ugh

Ugh Supporting Member

I really dig my Unleash, for both upping the volume of little amps and for taming big ones, but I really like it for the effects loop. I recently got a single channel JCM800 50W that has an incredible rock crunch all by itself. But when I try to boost it with an OD or fuzz for a lead, it gets dirtier and more compressed, but not much louder. I solved this problem by running an EQ pedal in the loop (along with reverb and delay). I set the EQ with a little volume and midrange bump and leads really stand out.

Great product and made by good dudes. When I fried mine by accidentally plugging my amp into the footswitch jack, they fixed it for free!

19. telewacker

telewacker Member

I just got the Unleash and used on a gig last night with a 20 watt EL84 amp with a 65 watt Scumback M75. It does exactly what it's supposed to do. I had plenty of clean headroom and reverb and delay work better in the Unleash's FX loop than an amp loop. The possibility of using small, simple amps for clear, pristine tone and re-amping them opens up a whole new way of thinking. I still have gigs where I can use 100 watt half stacks but in smaller venues bringing a little amp and the Unleash is a great solution to dealing with the vagaries of how much amp you're going to need. I always would try to err on the side of too much power rather than too little but now it's no longer an issue.

I love this thing.