Any Users of Visual Sound "Open Road" OD?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Csapo, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Recently heard a guy playing a 335 through a Visual Sound Open Road OD and he sounded amazing. Fantastic tone!!!

I think this is a relatively new pedal, and for $120.00, I'm very curious.

2. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Yeah, I've been curious too. I use and like the Route 808 and Liquid Chorus. I've heard good things about the Open Road. Wish some local shops carried it for me to try out.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Clips sounds stellar. Noone?

4. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I played one at a guitar show and thought it sounded great!

5. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member

This is a real good, OPen sounding pedal, like it
    J

:horse

(This guy don't bother me)

6. Akridosity

Akridosity Member

It's just another 808 clone though.

7. Weav69

Weav69 Member

Ah, to the contrary. The Open Road sounds nothing like an 808 or 808 clone. It's a different circuit. No mid hump, big tight bottom, non compressed on the top end and a very versatile tone section. I think it really shines in the medium gain world. Play soft it's clean, dig in it adds hair. It crunches great also. But then again I may be biased. I'm not only a Open Road user I work for the company. ; ) Give it a try...........
    cheers,

8. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Listen to the clips, it's nothing like a TS.

leonard d rock likes this.
  9. patrickisbusy

patrickisbusy Member

Yeah, it definitely sounds nothing like an 808 clone. I'm pretty sure the whole idea behind the pedal was to make a more open sounding overdrive (hence the name) that doesn't sound like an 808.

10. gnashville

gnashville Supporting Member

Not anywhere NEAR another 808 clone. If there's any similarity to any pedal, it would be the Nobels OD-1...but the Open Road is superior. I just recorded for five days on a project with Jerry McPherson who let me use his Nobels and his Open Road and the OR won the tone battle in a BIG way--and we had practically every pedal available to us (think of one, and we had it). Just like Dana (Weav69) said above, it's incredibly versatile. Definitely not a high gain beast, but a very transparent and beefy pedal nonetheless, even with the tone knob up around 3 o'clock. I just picked mine up this week and have used it all weekend with Jeremy Camp...and I just can't turn it off. In fact, you'll find my Cusack pedals for sale over in the Pedals Emporium.

11. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Picked up an Open Road today. Yup, Weav69 nailed it. It sounds great, and stacks great with my Route 808 too. I'm very impressed.

12. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

Ok. Now, I am having trouble getting velcro to stick to the bottom of the Visual Sound pedals. I have "industrial strength" velcro - whatever that means. Is there a different kind that sticks? Would I need to remove the rubber bottom first?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

13. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

That's what I was thinking. Thanks Zac!

14. gearboy

gearboy Member

I had one.....very cool. A lot of low end. The Tone control definitely had a sweet spot if I remember correctly.

15. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

I've been playing with the Open Road a lot since I got it, at both basement practice levels and on stage. I wouldn't mind a double pedal with two of these in it, or the other side being their 808. It stacks beautifully for solos with the Route 808 - sweet sustain, and cutting through the mix with out too much treble.

It sounds good at so many settings; I am still trying to decide if I would rather normally run it as a low gain boost with the gain at 9:00 or a little thicker at 12:00.
    It really has a nice full low end, open top end and flat mids. And lots of tone control for tweaking. I have found it somewhat similar to the Boss OD3. The Open Road can do a better clean boost and has a different gain range (the OD3 doesn't clean up as much, and gets more aggressive more quickly). Overall, it feels very natural, with excellent clarity. Really diggin it.
    Well done, VS.

16. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Does it have a noise gate like some of the other new VS pedals?

17. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

I don't think so. I think the noise gates are only in some of the double pedals. Could be a nice touch though.

18. pdblues19

pdblues19 Member

Can't say enough good things about the open road. It has a lot of amp charactersitics. It can go from clean boost to country to hard rock and it sounds great with the 808 boosting it. Overall probably Visual Sounds best work yet.

19. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

yeah ya know what? **** you and the whores you rode in on

that's right I'm drunk, so what?!?