any users of Vox AC30 / USA Strat here on TGP ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rock Fella, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

As i type this im listening to the album "Calling Card " by one of the finest players ever to lift a guitar, my fellow countryman and much missed Rory Gallagher.

Rory was an outstanding exponent of AC30 / Strat tone , the mans aching tones just absolutely pour with emotion, do any of you guys own / use this pairing of amp and guitar and got any clips that YOU played on ?

Ive seen AC30 amps but reading so many issues concerning reliability has always scared me off unfortunately.

jimmy

2. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

For what it's worth I use my AC30CC with my Eric Johnson strat and it sounds really good, and people have even commented on my tone with it. Also, it punches through the mix like you would not even begin to believe. You had better have your chops down because it's one of those amps that will expose you for what you are in a second. If it only had a second channel that could do the cranked Marshall thing like my Reinhardt, it would become my favorite amp.

As far as reliability goes, it hasn't up and went Kapow!:crazyguy

3. Mark C

Mark C Member

I use a strat with my Hayseed (dead on Vox AC30 tones) and the combo of a strat or tele with an AC30 (or clone) is simply magical. Sweet high end and tight low end - almost like they were made for eachother. Of course Rory Gallagher is an excellent example, but don't forget that Blackmore used AC30's in the studio with his strat for some killer tones.

4. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

strat --> AC30CC2 makes some of the best tones I've ever heard. Dial in a little grit on the Top Boost channel and soar!

5. myles111

myles111 Member

Have a good tech go through any original and bring it up to being in good shape and then change the output tubes on a very regular basis with matched quads.

The amps can be quite reliable.

6. robertgordon

robertgordon Active Member

i usually use a CS tele, but my custom classic 30 sounds beautiful with a usa strat. i am in agreement with the other posters, and really digging my vox.

7. whowasthursday

whowasthursday Member

I am currently running my American Deluxe strat through a Blues Jr., but I have been bitten by the vox bug, and am very seriously contemplating getting a Hayseed 30.

8. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

The lead break at the opening of "Moonchild" is one of the few solos that literally still makes the hair on my arms stand on end. He has such great tone on that album. I like many AC30 tones but his compressed, boosted (Rangemaster I believe) tone is my favorite. The single coils keep it from being too muddy.

9. michael_smurphy

michael_smurphy Member

I have an old JMI AC30.. the main things too watch is the heat and humidity mix... if you routinely have it serviced regularly you wont have a problem, heat will wear our compontents faster and humidty will allow oxidation to wear things out quicker.. thats about it, my old lady is 43 years old and still kicks serious tonal arse, oh yeah and if you want a plexi tone with a AC30 just add a ProCo Rat II.

10. bluesman69

bluesman69 Member

I love my strat through my AC30HW.
    [​IMG]

11. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Lot's of love here for those Voxy strat tones! :BEER

[​IMG]

12. badger6

badger6 Member

I have an ac30tb....and it not only sounds killer with my strats but also with my les paul and with my ric's. However it is EXTREMELY unreliable if you are gigging weekly even if you stay on top of the servicing. Mine crapped out on two different gigs and with me thats all the chances you get so mine does not see the stage but stays home in the studio for recording only.

13. shuffle

shuffle Member

I use a strat and an ac30.

Absolutely fantastic match. Sounds great with no effects, really tight low end, the attack of the strat is great with the grit of the ac30.

However for rhythm playing, you need a tele - i like the brighter tones for rhythm and the start doesnt deliver the way i want it to (personal opinion). I just dig the lead guitar tones with my strat/vox

[​IMG]