Any V-pick lite /ultra lite users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ibanez4life SZ!, Dec 20, 2009.

1. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Supporting Member

Hey guys!

I've been through a few waves of V picks....small rounded, medium rounded, medium pointed, etc.

Want to throw in really quickly that I'm a modern rock/metal player...heavy riffing, chording, palm muting, and some lead breaks through a Boogie Roadster and Mark IV.

Sadly, the picks they haven't worked for me. I LOVE how the always stay put in my hand, but with my picking technique, they chirp REALLY bad...doesn't work with my sound. They were just too thick for me too.

I recently REALLY fell for the Dunlop Jazz Pitch Black 1.14mm picks...love how they feel, but they always slip out of my hand, and they seem to have dulled my attack a bit.

Vinni has more recently released the Lite and Ultra Lite picks. I'm thinking about grabbing a small pointed lite and ultra lite.

Any users here? How are they? Any chirp problems? I'm hoping these lighter V picks will be the end of the road for me. Vinni hopes they will do better for me, but I was curious if anyone here has bothered with them yet.

Appreciate it!

Eric

2. ibanez4life SZ!

ibanez4life SZ! Supporting Member

3. guaguanco

guaguanco Member

I too have tried many of the thicker, rounder V-picks, and find them to produce a chirping sound. I've now settled on Lite's for lead work and Ultralite's for strumming. I play jazz/rock on .013-.056 set of flats and find the Lite's give the best response and least string resistance, with the chirping greatly reduced. What's left is a nice presence to the attack. :love:

4. CJReaper

CJReaper Member

I use the small ultra lites. I've tried the thicker models as well and like you, they didn't work for me. I'm really happy with the ultra lites, I don't notice any chirping and the tone and feel are really good. I play mostly Metal (Iron Maiden, Slayer, Morbid Angel) and they work great for heavy palm muting and speed picking.

Cheers,

CJ

5. xntrick

xntrick Member

the lites are now my favorites, i like that that are very thin but sill have that bevel edge to them..i used to play with aluminum picks and the lites are very close to that type of feel but unlike the aluminum picks there is no metal to metal scraping involved, though at times that does sound good when playing certain types of music..i have also tried the ultrs lites and find them too thin for any fast playing but they have an incredible tone on acoustic...

6. frankencat

frankencat Lex Luthier Gold Supporting Member

I just ordered a Medium Pointed Lite to try out. I think that may work well for me. I have a Small Pointed Lite and I like the sound but I am not into tiny picks much. Big fat hands and all that. :)

7. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

I use an ultra lite. Not used to thick gauge picks. Ultra lite is nice! I can strum and do picking with it.

8. eddie27

eddie27 Member

I just started using the large pointed Ultra Lites. Love them. They really improved my tone. I used extra heavy Dunlops and Fenders before. Some stiffness, great feel.

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I've tried V-Picks a few times and just can't deal with the chirp...I emailed Vinny a few weeks ago and to combat the chirp he suggested trying un-buffed V-Picks.

However shortly after than I got a bunch of Dunlop Jazz pick's to try and so far haven't looked back!

10. tommc

tommc Supporting Member

Do you have trouble finding your ultra lites when you drop them? Here's a tip. Take a sharpie marker and fill in the engraved writing. Wipe off the excess with a Kleenex. Now the writing will be clearly visible. Lasts for awhile depending on how much you sweat. I haven't lost one since I started doing this.