Any version of SG comparable to the VOS at a lesser price?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by earthlydescent, Feb 3, 2012.

1. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

Hmmmmm?

Thems were some sexy tones I got thru one last night.

2. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

I think the 61 RI is pretty darn close. I feel they are as well build and sound as good (when like for like components) but the VOS look better IMO.

There are a few out now that are interesting in the 50th anniversary line. The Robby Kreiger looks cool as does the Jeff Tweety one.

3. seth3

seth3 Member

Hi earthlydescent,

Keep in mind that the main feature of the VOS (or any Custom) is that you are paying for the extra care/exact vintage specs/etc.

Tone is another matter. There are plenty of USA's that sound awesome, there are plenty of VOS's that sound awesome. Just pick out a bunch - go to different stores, get a good feel and, mostly, close your eyes and listen.

My lowly faded SG hangs with the Customs - in tone, not features, which is not a popular thing to say, but it is (IMHO) true.

4. goodwater

goodwater Member

I think a Standard or even a Classic would fit the bill---I've owned both and thought they were excellent guitars.

5. 27sauce

27sauce Supporting Member

I like the older '61 RI's with the ABR-1, and the older, glossy Classics with the ABR-1.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I agree. Other than maybe the pickups on the Standard, I'm not sure how a VOS could be that much better.

7. earthlydescent

Just didn't play anything but a VOS. I'll try a '61.

8. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

You might want to check out the Gibson '62 LP/SG reissue. (Yes, '62.)

It was a limited run by the Gibson Custom Shop for Guitar Center (yes, Guitar Center) for a couple of years, about 2004-06 time frame. It was then continued as the VOS model for a lot more money.

I got mine on blowout at GC in 2006. Harmonics just explode out of the thing. I'd been looking for The One True SG for quite a while, tried lots of Standards, and the '61 RIs.

You see the '62 RIs for sale here and there used; should be priced in low-mid teen$ area - a lot less than the VOS, although the VOS are terrific as well.

=K

9. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Member

If you want a VOS, get a VOS. You should be able to score a used one for less than the cost of a new '61RI.

10. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

I put a ABR-1 on my 61, i like it

11. Marble

Marble Member

I play an '05 USA '61 RI and it kicks ass...the only thing in my opinion the VOS has over the USA is the deeper cutaway bevel of the upper horn like the originals

12. DoctorBob

DoctorBob Member

Son has reissue with small guard-I have VOS.VOS-bigger neck.Color-reissue more accurate than VOS.PUPs-reissue has Classic 57's, VOS has Burstbuckers-57's win hands down.Case- cool white innards on reissue. REissue-$ VOS $$.Pretty similar otherwise.I myself went for he VOS cause I like the mojo of Historic but honestly not a heck of a lot of difference and the reissue is cheaper--so get it.We both tried the batwing guard somewhat cheaper version of the Standard and it sucked, played like a cheap guitar.Shortly after I got a vintage '61 SG Special--the new ones weigh a ton more than an old one though they are still not back breakers

13. danelectro

danelectro Supporting Member

The VOS SGs typically sell for around $1500-$1800 on eBay. The Guitar Center '61 RI SG is the closest to the VOS, the main differences being that they have a Nashville bridge rather than an ABR, inlays are different, neck binding is thicker and the pickups are different. I never cared for SGs with the batwing pickguard because you cannot get the pickups parallel to the strings.

Last fall on eBay I lucked into a 2007 Historic VOS SG that was loaded with a pair of 1963 Pat # pups. These pickups are exactly the same as original PAF pickups (except for the sticker). I was floored when I won the guitar for $1475. The pickups alone or the guitar alone were worth more than my winning bid. I had submitted a max bid of $1800 not expecting to win the guitar and I was amazed when I won it at that price. Don't end your auctions on a Thursday! I ended up moving the pickups into my 1969 Goldtop conversion and I now have a set of Throbak SLE-101s in the SG which sound fabulous.

[​IMG]

14. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Wow, heck of a score! Good for you!

15. No.9

No.9 Member

I'm sure but you'd have to hunt around a bit and play 'em. Go for a used VOS, I have a 2006 VOS('61) SG Special and couldn't be happier with it. You should be able to find one for around $1600 if you look hard enough.

[​IMG]

16. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

Well the pup differences are not even that big of a deal IMO. The biggest difference that makes the historic a better SG is the long neck tenon and arguably better woods used on the VOS. The long tenon makes a big difference in resonance and sustain even acoustically and I've a/b'd the 61 reissue and vos historic.

Also the abr vs Nashville and differences in headstock and or neck angle (iirc) are going to make sonic differences as well. Better or worse sound with these differences are subjective but the long tenon thing is more like an objective difference.

To the op, both guitars are not too hard to find. Play them both and if you can hear a difference and afford the VOS, go for it. If you can't hear a difference, consider yourself lucky and get the cheaper of the two.

17. earthlydescent

Update... Played both a 61' RI and the VOS side by side and the VOS won hands down. Both played very similar, but the tones are totally different. The VOS is way more punchy and open. I was surprised because I really dug the VOS clean, and I tend to dislike humbuckers for cleans. The 61' wasn't as punchy and was horrible with cleans. The VOS was lighter too... There really is a big difference with those burstbuckers. It'll be third on my buy list behind a Bogner Duende and a Fender 51' Hot Rod Telecaster.

18. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

I have to respectfully disagree about the pickups. I'll agree that probably the wood and tendons matter, too, but I just had the pickups replaced in my two standards and I think it made a pretty huge difference.
    Just sayin'. :)