Any videos from famous bands or acts where the guitar player makes a glaring mistake?

TopDog

"jumping the valence"
Gold Supporting Member
I was watching a YT video from the Concert For George (Harrison), they were playing Something. The guitar player played GH's solo perfectly. It got me wondering what if he muffed it up?

That said - I'd love to see/hear some video where the guitar player makes a glaring mistake....

BTW I really like the version of Something from that show - McCartney on the Ukulele in Bb before going to the original key for the solo and the remainder of the song with EC singing.

Misterbulbous

Yer Blues

Ron Thall tells a hilarious story about him (Ron) messing up the solo to Sweet Child of Mine - while wearing a stormtrooper mask. There's a lot more to the story - even my wife was cracking up.

132 - Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal by NO GUITAR IS SAFE • Podcast w/ Jude Gold (soundcloud.com)
I don't remember the exact story, but I remember hearing it. Something like he couldn't see anything and (maybe) his in ears went out?

I read he did a solo gig recently and stopped halfway through. Not sure what happened there.... I never followed up to see.

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Dunno if there's actually a video for it, but Mick Jones' solo in 'Hot Blooded' will forever live in infamy.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Can't find the video now, but there's one out there somewhere of Neal Schon jamming with.....Buddy Guy, I think.....where he is soloing in the wrong key. Buddy finally walks over to him and tells him what key they are in.

Obviously a case of Neal not being able to hear. I suspect many of these "pro messes up" videos are just that.

But you know....sometimes it happens.

I have been walking my whole life....53 years. I am really good at it. In fact, I would call myself an expert at walking. I can do it backwards, sideways, and frontwards. I can do it with my eyes closed.

Still, for some weird reason, I occasionally trip or stumble. Sometimes I even fall.

Being human is interesting like that.

Last edited:

j_el_jee

Silver Supporting Member
At the Wembly Freddie Mercury tribute show that I watched live and recorded on VHS (and haven’t seen in 25+ years) I distinctly remember Slash joining Queen to play a solo, I think it was Tie your mother down, and either he was tuned differently than everyone else or he was just playing in the wrong key. I remember him looking around like “WTF is wrong” before he figured it out and transposed. I looked for video of this but I only found a post somewhere saying the DVD release has the audio fixed. Anyone else recall that?

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
Can't find the video now, but there's one out there somewhere of Neal Schon jamming with.....Buddy Guy, I think.....where he is soloing in the wrong key. Buddy finally walks over to him and tells him what key they are in.

Obviously a case of Neal not being able to hear. I suspect many of these "pro messes up" videos are just that.

But you know....sometimes it happens.

I believe it was Albert King. Agreed that was most likely a monitor situation. Also, possible herbal energy supplements. But yeah, sometimes it happens.

Misterbulbous

I don't remember the exact story, but I remember hearing it. Something like he couldn't see anything and (maybe) his in ears went out?

I read he did a solo gig recently and stopped halfway through. Not sure what happened there.... I never followed up to see.
It was the first show of the tour, Ron was over-sedated with pain medicine from his car accident. Had limited mobility in his arms and shoulders and it was raining on the stage. Apparently he bent down and somebody gave him the mask - put it on and it immediately fogged up. Due to his condition he couldn't remove it. He tells the story pretty funny - talks about the hate mail he still receives today for messing up the solo.

The entire podcast is great.

Trending Topics