• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Any way to determine date for old Grover "PAT PEND" tuners?

chucke99

I have five chrome Grover tuners marked "PAT. PEND. U.S.A." on them. Digging around and checking eBay, it looks like they could date anywhere from 1959 to the late 1960s. I highly doubt they are very early ones, but is there a way, via subtle differences, maybe, to narrow down just when they were made? I have no idea what they were taken off. I got them in a box of loose, old parts.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

simonm

I have been through this exact conundrum. IIRC they were first used on Martins in 1959. Chrome I think. The Pat Pend text is quite shallow and and close to the outside ring, like the ones on Dr Vintage, and deeper and closer to the centre like yours is later. Dr V doesn't offer any dates, but 1968 crops up somewhere, but I can't remember where - is that the year they first appeared on Gibsons as stock? I giess it took a long time to get the patent passed.

Trending Topics