Any way you look at this, it's April Fools - Slash gtr

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by soundbee, Mar 29, 2008.

1. soundbee

soundbee Member

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

I don't get it. It's a joke b/c his main guitar wasn't a real LP?

3. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I played it today, pretty good player and a VERY good price too, only 100 quid above a standard.

4. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

Perhaps soundbee does not like the behatted one.

5. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Uhh, ok, so it is a HC link. I understand your affiliation with HC, now please, attempt to splain to me your logic..

Emee

6. soundbee

soundbee Member

no affiliation w/ HC. There's just so much irony to it. Were to start...

1) I know the world doesn't stop turning because of the day but, Who releases <anything> on April Fools? That's just an open invitation to parody.

2) dkaplowitz said it, his main gtr was a lp copy. I guess Gibby thinks we're all the fools for not knowing that.

3) Obviously he's been around a long time but I've certainly never considered him a gtr gawd worthy of his own model (two, if you count gibby and epi) - here's where the marketing fools, errr I mean sharks smell blood (money).

4) the whole 'cat in the hat' moniker is by definition a 'fool'

I'm sure there's a bunch more to add. It's just ironic that it's all happening on April Fools Day.

Note: this is not a bash slash thread. I actually respected him quite a bit back in the early 90's - saw GnR at the Ritz in NYC. In between songs he was going to the side of the stage, in full view of the audience, and doing lines of something and chasing it with a bottle of JD (or SoCo). Still it was an awesome rock-n-roll show. Looked like just his LP (copy) and a Marshall stack - sounded incredible! Then a few years later saw them at MSG after "Use Y'r Illusion" was out and it was completely different. They all were very sober and you could tell that he was running around to hit certain marks on the stage so that the lighting would be right, etc. Very produced show - very opposite from the first time I saw them. This time it felt very 'corporate' - sort of like watching "Foreigner" or one of those type bands. Still, if they never cleaned up after the first album they probably would have never made it to the second.

7. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I dunno, man. He's definitely sold a lot of les pauls for Gibson. It's a lot less of a head scratcher than the Tom Delonge sig guitar they made.

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

Look at all of the other signature and inspired by models. To me, there's just too many of these anyway. The Les Paul itself is a signature model on its own. Then it becomes a double signature model?

9. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

And afterwards Gibson will sue Slash for playing a Max LP in the old days.

10. PrestonBrick

PrestonBrick Member

11. Doug G

Doug G Silver Supporting Member

The Gibson "inspired by" model isn't a replica of the Chris Derrig guitar (although apparently there is some confusion as to it was built by Chris Derrig or another luthier). It's a replica of Slash's Gibson Standard that Gibson gave him as a touring guitar after Gn'R started to gain popularity. From what I've read, they sent Slash a bunch of Standards, and he picked one or two he liked. This particular one he had refinished so it wasn't so red & glossy, and looked a little more faded & old (pre-dating the whole VOS/relicking craze). He played it on tour with Gn'R, but not necessarily on albums. He still plays the Chris Derrig LP on albums, but not on tour.

I'm a huge Slash fan - one of the only people whose solos I tried to duplicate note for note. I'm not as crazy about the new Velvet Revolver stuff he's doing, but I'll always love Gn'R. I'm having a hard time NOT justifying a purchase of one of the Gibson Custom LPs - saw one at GC yesterday and had to walk out before I impulsively threw down a hold payment.

12. xdisciplex

xdisciplex Member

im glad somebody else knows that the new slash isnt a replica of his copy and that it is a replica of a gibson that was his touring guitar and the one he used in the sweet child video.

13. Doug G

Doug G Silver Supporting Member

To be fair, after reading Slash's autobiography I'm not sure I'd trust his memory 100%.