Any Wizard wah users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tone, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Tone

Tone Member

Hey guys.
    Just wanted to see if the Wizard wah users could give me the general rundown on how they like the wah? What genres are you able to cover with it and what gear do you use it through? Does it play nicely with single coils as well as humbuckers, and what's it like when played with a clean tone? Since it's part picture wah part RMC-1, can it do the whole Hendrix thing, funk, SRV, Clapton, along with the high gain stuff? Oh yeah, what inductor does it use, and what's the overall boost like? Do you find it's great for soloing work because of the overall boost? What's the vocalness like?

I know there were some threads on this already, so in the meantime I'll be searching, but I just wanted to get some updated opinions. :) Are there any artists that use the Wizard wah you guys can suggest that I can check out for some tone ideas? I read a player by the name Jen Leigh used one to win a Hendrix competition? Not sure who she is, but I've read she's a kick ass player. Could'nt find any music clips of her using one online.

Also have one more question regarding wahs that are able to handle high gain. Not only the wizard in particular, but all high gain marketed ones. What exactly makes them able to handle high gain?

Thanks!

2. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

It's the one wah i will never sell!!! I've owned the RMC-1, RMC-3, Silvermachine, Hendrix, Crybaby, Vox, Fulltone and to me the Wizards the pick of the bunch.
    To my ears it's kinda got the fat arsed Hendrix voicing with extended sweep and works brilliant with humbuckers and tonnes o' gain. The really great thing is that it stands out in a band mix and doesn't get thin or screachy. It's just a GOOD SOLID WAH... :)

3. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks for the cool post!
    So, would you say that it does Hendrix wah tone pretty good? I know the Pic is supposed to be the one that's dead on for that, but I'm just curious since the Wizard is supposed to be part Picture wah too. What's the vocalness like? Also, do you know what inductor it uses?

P.s.
    On AnalogMan's site it says that the Wizard wah is supposed to be like the entry level RMC. Anyone know why? Is it built with lesser quality components or something?

4. llc55

llc55 Member

I have a Wiz since '04. I really liked the Wiz when I purchased it but started to find it a little flat and lifeless recently, specially with low gain settings.

Then I got a Pic looking for the quack I was missing. I definetly found it. The Pic get you in the vintage territory in a way the Wiz won't do. Richer sweep with a real Hendrix/Trower vibe.

But surprisingly I started to like the Wiz again. It's not vintage like the Pic and and don't have that vocal quality, but it's voiced so sweet... damn... I wish I had room for both in my board. :(

Here's a brief comparisson:

Pic: Pronouced quack, richer/deeper sweep, loves clean/semi clean strat tones. Little volume drop. Funky.

Wiz: Sweet quack, "shallow" sweep, lots of mids, fat, boosted. Loves gain and was born for lead guitar.

Concerning you question about the inductor: in teh website it says "stack of dimes inductor", which I suppose is different from the "Italian" used in the Pic pedals.

5. Stressfest

As above.
    The inductor is covered in red paint...Geoffry loves to hide his secrets. I bought mine when i heard Landau was using one. For my money he's got the best tone around...fat vocal sweeping wah. Easy choice :)

6. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks again, guys!

llc55,
    What do you mean by "shallow sweep"

Even though it's not as vocal as the Picture wah, would you guys say it still has enough vocalness to it? :D I gotta check out some Landau stuff. I honestly never heard anything from him.:jo Anything good to check out that he's using the Wizard on? Maybe some live stuff? Can you give me a little background on his playing, gear, style, etc?

Thanks!:RoCkIn

P.s. Stressfest, is that red paint that anti-vibration stuff I've been reading about, or just something to cover the board up with?

7. llc55

llc55 Member

Hehehe... language bareer, I think.

Sorry for my bad english, but I couldn't find any other explanation and in portuguese it does make more sense.

I meant that in comparisson to Pic's sweep, which is deep and have a huge and deep QUACK, QUACK, the Wiz's sweep sounds subtle. Doesn't go to the bottom of the pool and come back to surface... shallow. :messedup :eek:

Technically speaking, it has tons of mids so you kinda stay in that middle area... not so trebly when you rock all the way front, not so bassy when rocked back.

8. Tone

Tone Member

llc55,
    Naw man your english is great! I did'nt even notice you're from brazil until you mentioned it in that last post. :) I wanted to ask what you mean by "shallow sweep" because I've read a couple posts that said the Wizard had a nice wide and fat sweep. I think "extended" was the term used most. :)

Would you say it is pretty vocal? Enough highs/treble for most applications? What are your thoughts on it for cleans and singles? On the RMC site it says it's made for any amp gain structure and any pickup configuration, and I know the Picture would probably beat it out for cleans and single coils, but I just wanted to get your opinion as some guys have said they really dig it clean, and also with singles.

Thanks!

9. llc55

llc55 Member

Thanks, Tone. :)

As for the pedal, I guess Geoffry says it has a extended sweep (and it does have) to conpensate the "excess" of mids in the circuitry.

It is a great wah, although it doesn't have that treble of those vintage voiced wahs. It is fat and thick, goes well with singles and does a great job on the clean tones. But it's more a mellow wah pedal, like those Vox v847. It is vocal but less than the Pic. I couldn't get THAT quack in "Burning on the Midnight Lamp", for example.

The Wiz is more a thick and fat sounding wah than the vintage ones. I think this is the main difference... clarity. But I play my amp really dark, so maybe you'll not find it that mellow and thick.

Cheers!

10. Oddos

Oddos Member

Yes it has less quack than others.

I love mine though. I use mine last in the chain.

11. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks for the info!:BluesBros

12. Festus

Festus Supporting Member

I've got an RMC 3 and the Wizard, and I find myself using the Wizard all the time. It doesn't have the quack that the RMC 3 can do, but the Wizard goes better with humbuckers and single coils than most of the other Teese wahs. I had a hard time getting the RMC3 and humbuckers to behave.

13. Tone

Tone Member

What's the purpose of the red paint thing that covers the circuit board?

14. Oddos

Oddos Member

15. Stressfest

I believe it's to hide the values of components on the board?? Could be wrong though :)

16. Tone

Tone Member

I forgot to ask you guys earlier. What music styles do you guys use your Wizards to play?:AOK

What year did the paint covering the circuit boards start to show up in the RMC's?

EDIT:
    Any pros or players you guys can point me towards that use the Wizard wah? I just wanted to see if I could find some clips of them or something. I know Landau was mentioned earlier, so I'm just starting to look into him.

Thanks!

17. Stressfest

I'm more of your hard rock kinda player...it's my meat & potato's wah :)
    Last i heard Mike Landau is using one with his humbucker loaded Suhrs & Tylers and i believe Satch bought one too...so Geoffry told me. Bought one of everything, just about.

18. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I am also a WW fan, I tired a few, this is a very cool pedal. I think it is a great rig and sounds real nice.

Who wants a grey WHA when you can have a red one? :0

19. Tone

Tone Member

:BEER

20. Tone

Tone Member

What kind of styles do you cover with it?:JAM