Any word, dislike, like, for B-52 amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SuperReverb2, Jan 24, 2005.

1. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

http://www.b-52stealthseries.com/AT100.html

One of the guys that went to NAMM said this was one GREAT sounding amp for a VERY cheap price. I know B-52 has been around for a while, but a search of The Gear Page pullled up ziltch. Any thoughts, comments, etc., would be greatly appreciated as the owner is thinking of bringing this line into the store. PA's as well....

:)

Thanks

Chuck

http://www.b-52stealthseries.com/ST6012.html

Combo as well....

2. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I thought about buying one as a backup about a year ago but it left me flat. IMO, it's a cheap high-gain tube amp. Nothing more, nothing less.

It has a lot of features at a favorable price point and, unlike most amps in its segment you could actually dial out the buzz. The clean channel is about what you'd expect in a budget gain machine.

As for whether the store should bring 'em in, I dunno. My local GC stocks 'em out so that could affect things in terms of local competition. Also, I'm not sure who comprises the target market. I'd guess it's aimed at kids but don't know why someone that price conscious would choose it over a DMA.

I guess it also depends on the volume allowed at the store. It might do well if folks could A/B it next to a DMA at "real" volume.

3. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Thanks, I appreciate the response. The guy that tried the amp at NAMM is a pretty decent player, but his tastes in music (tone) are VERY different from mine. I agree that the "target" market would most likely be kids that want a TUBE amp at cheap (er) prices, but I was actually hoping that this amp wouldn't be another one of "those" amps.

Thanks

Chuck

4. saros141

saros141 Guest

They should ship 'em with 5881s, which were in the original B-52!

5. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

6. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

These amps were made initially for GC specifically. The newest version sounds about as good as a Blue Voodoo. Decent sounding amps, I am sure that they are made pretty crapily tho....M.E.

7. kmanick

kmanick Member

I went shopping for a combo last week and tried these.
    Peavey 6150
    Peavey JSX
    Marshall JCM 900 Hi gain reverb
    The JSX was in the lead, when I walked into GC and said what's
    that and the sales guy said the B-52 AT 212 combo.
    this thing completely smoked the JCM, and sounded so close to the JSX that it ended up coming home with me.
    I don't know about their other products but their AT 212 combo completely kicks ass. I even got it on sale and got an amazing trade in on my Line 6 Flextone Plus II. (the manager was a friend of my buddys drummer) (ended up costing me close to nothing)
    I still have till the end of the month to decide it I want to keep it but so far I am loving it :dude
    great range of tones you an get out of this.
    And thru a marshall 1960Av top it sounds amazing!

8. heybulldog

heybulldog Member

this is what i remember from my time at gc. the b52 pro audio stacked up favorably against cerwin vega and jbl. we kinda felt tube guitar stuff was good value for the money and the thing that sticks with me is, i don t remember any of it being returned. thats something i cant say about line 6, vox valvetronix and suprise-mesa boogie.

9. lyconxero

lyconxero Guest

I played one the B-52 AT-100 Tri-Mode Rectifier at Guitar Center and it freakin' blew my mind. One of the guys who worked there asked me to come over with my EMG equipped Ibanez and check out this amp and he actually cranked it for me. My GOD, the entire store was shaking! The clean channel was acceptible for such a high gain amp and the distortion just has balls on top of balls. The amp is also pretty versatile with some EQing. I was able to get everything from soft rock tones to the heaviest death metal tones. The biggest selling point for this amp is the cost. You owe it to yourself to check one out at GC and MAKE SURE that they let you crank it. If they won't let you out on the floor then ask one of the people to take the head into the vault and hook it up to one of the cabs in there.

10. kmanick

kmanick Member

UPdate to my original response.
    Well I ended up keeping the B-52 combo, and since then I have scored a 5150 combo off of EBay and I'm running these 2 combos in stereo. It's like a huge wall of sound! :D:dude
    The B-52's seem to be pretty fragile though. I had to bring mine back because the low input jack went dead, but they swapped it for a new one in a box, no questions ask (even after my 30 day period expired)
    sounds great even at low practice volumes. Put an MXR 10 band Eq into the loop and it really brings it alive even more.
    I'm going to put a set of matching JJ's in there down the road,
    I'm thinking it will really sound killer then.
    Nice amps, but I'm questioning the reliability of them. I'm sure a lot of the parts used internally are cheap and could be an issue down the road.
    If I had to play a gig I would take the 5150 and leave this one at home.
    The 5150 is a bull and I wouldn't worry about that one shitting the bed on me as much as I would the B-52.

Oh and I've been playing on and off since 1975 so I don't want anyone to think that I'm some kid in the "Target" audience that you've decided on, that can't afford a "real" amp. I've owned just about everything under the sun except a couple of the boutique amps and I'm still pretty impressed with the range of tones I can get out of this thing.
    This will probably end up being a really nice practice amp (because it does sound really good at low volumes) that is capable of doing a lot more if I need it too.

11. JohnnyGtar

JohnnyGtar Member

I was the product development manager for B-52 and I developed the AT-100. I can assure you that it is not crappily made. Very heavy duty construction & massive transformers, etc.

Best regards,

Johnny

12. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I heard 2 guys in a Guitar Center in Albany using them a few weeks ago .. 1 was a salesman. The sounds I heard were the cheesiest distortion I've ever heard this side of a Rocktron Rampage pedal or a Boss Metal Zone dialed in by someone who doesn't know how to use the controls on the Metal Zone.... My disclaimer is I didn't dial it in , and I can dial in pretty much any amp to sound ok. ONCE AGAIN , this is NOT a very valuable obsservation to anyone as it wasn't ME dialing it in ,but I figured I'd post it. Typically I'm an advocate of cheaper amps. I have heard and played lower end Line6's that sound UNBELIEVABLE compared to this, but these guys had no clue how to dial them in. I just read the posts above from the designer and other guys who liked them , so just like I said, mine was an observation only , and not even worthy of an opinion at this poiNT!!!! ERIC

13. baron55

baron55 Member

From my information, Bruce Engater actually designed the circuits of those amps. One reason they sound pretty good.

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

I smell sticker-price snobbery here.

I played one, and I thought it sounded better than the Blue Voodoo. For the price point, I thought it was VERY good deal for what you were getting.

EP

15. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Faint praise in my book. ;)

Seriously, if you're into that flavor of high gain, knock yourself out. I spent about half an hour with a B52 trying to convince myself that it would be a great backup amp. I couldn't. I'm not saying it's a bad amp but I couldn't bring myself to pay four bills or whatever pittance they were asking for the amp. I just didn't care for the way it sounded.

If someone likes the way it sounds, it's a bargain. For someone like me who tried it and didn't like it, it's a dust collector at any price.

16. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

The B-52 AT-series combo easily smokes a Blue Voodoo. Hands-down.

I played thru the combo a few months ago and wasn't exactly turned-off. Not jaw-dropping, but not too bad. I could have gigged with it- if I had to. That being said, I wonder how "consistent" these are across the board.

In other news: I have never heard any Line6 amplifier that I would give a boot full of pee for. I think the overall POD/Line6 tech is great for digital recording only, but no Line6 "amp" deserves to be onstage... those bleating mostrosities just don't cut it "live" IMHO.

17. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I actually played a B-52 backline for one show...it was the most unpleasant stage experience for me. I could not hear the B-52 cut through the mix at all, and at decent volumes I got feedback no matter what. Ugh.

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I couldn't disagree more about the Line6's. I have so many friends and guys I've worked with who own either FLextone2, Flextone 3, the smaller ones, or the Ax2's etc who know HOW To dial them in , and they sound just great. I have a room full of 25-30 tube amps and preamps that I rotate thru at my gigs, but I always love playing their Line6's. I did sound for a band for a year and 1/2 at all gigs where there were at least a few hundred people and the guy used a Line6 Ax2 programmed perfectly and he should was spectacular. (We used sizeable PA's too , not just a pair of Mackie's sitting on 1x18 subs) . In listening to the 2 B52's at GC in ALbany ,I just cringed at how they sounded like a non-dialed in Boss mt2. Almost identical .. Just a totally hollow, bedroom , beginner metal sound.. Like I said though , that 's not my OPINION Of the amp at all, just the way those 2 guys dialed them in ! !!! MEanwhile, if someone doesnt' know how to operate LIne6 gear, it can sound that bad too :) I just find it VERY easy to get great tones from . I own a houseful of Demeter, THD, 6 Marshalls, Mesa, Engl, etc gear also and much of it is great sounding , but can't say anything bad about Line6's dialed in right here! ERIC

19. Crunchyriff

Crunchyriff Member

ericb-

Even the Line6 amps "dialed in right" to my ears don't cut it. I mean, yes they get a fairly accurate digitized rendering of different amps to be sure, but something is "missing" bigtime...and onstage is where this difference rears its head the most. Unfortunately, most of the Line6 stuff onstage that I've heard over the last few years is used/owned by those who seemingly DON'T have "ears to hear" and can't/don't dial it in properly; and thus, they make a bad sonic spectacle of advertizing for Line6.

That being said, the best rendering of Line6 onstage can't hold a candle to the avg decent tube amp onstage tone-wise; and I've used all-tube, Solid-state, and "tube hybrid" rigs over the years of various iterations live; and believe be, if my ears liked the Line6 products, you couldn't find a more rabid supporter of the product than yours truly. I'm not claiming to have the greatest pair of ears, but I know what I hear, and I just don't like it. Looking back to when the H157 (or whatever it is) made its debut, and had all sortsa star props: I was hoping to be a convert. I mean, there were supposedly wonderful examples to listen to online at the Line6 site. What a hideous din. What a disappointment... but, YMMV.

Let's face it, the L6 products' biggest selling points are:
    A: a reasonably-priced mondo-box modeler
    B: no tubes to replace

I don't like/enjoy the sound of Line6, and I don't care WHO 'dials it in'.

That doesn't mean you can't!

As far as the B-52, I only heard one, only played thru one. No they aren't my cup o' tea. But I've heard far worse.

Again, YMMV!