Any word on the Tech 21 Boost Fuzz?

forgivenman

Silver Supporting Member
As cool as their Liverpool & British character pedals are I'm sort of interested in this. Has anyone heard or seen one in person? I think they're out.

amorica

Im SUPER surprised at how much I like it. I've always had a hard time with fuzz . I love the smoothness of the fuzzface but thats what kind of gets it lost in the mix. Then the opposite side is to harsh and thin. My fav was my Sunlion but couldn't get it to cut without the Beano side on then it was noisy as hell. This pedal solves all those problems and has ZERO noise, Seriously!! And it has a clean boost that u can use totally separate that doesn't change your tone at all.
My fav thing on the pedal is the "Sag" knob it sounds amazing !!! definitely does the starving battery thing in spades. Theirs more then enough Fuzz on tap and when you roll back your volume it cleans up and you retain your high end like the Sunlion. The tone knob has a huge rang as well. Theirs a cool demo on Sweetwater that is a good representation of it but sounds better for sure. I finally found the best of all worlds for fuzz in what I was looking for in the least of all places Tech21. Never was a fan but never gave them a chance either. I'm Definitely checking out the rest of their line

carltonh

So the demos show it getting a pretty good Fuzz Face tone. Can it do Rangemaster or Tonebender tones? Sounds like it might be similar to the Pedalworx (aka Tonefactor) Hellbilly that I still use if it can, but with a tone knob and boost. (Talk about a forgotten great pedal there...)

henryjurstin13

Silver Supporting Member
As I have ZERO fuzz pedals, this things look great for my entry into the fuzz world.... and I really like the TOTALLY separate boost control.

amorica

As I have ZERO fuzz pedals, this things look great for my entry into the fuzz world.... and I really like the TOTALLY separate boost control.

Definitely !! Very user friendly fuzz for newbies. But I'm sticking with it for the long hull. I'm done looking. And I called Sweetwater and asked if they could help me with the price. $125 shipped out the door. Best and cheapest of all the Fuzz that I've tried.

amorica

So the demos show it getting a pretty good Fuzz Face tone. Can it do Rangemaster or Tonebender tones? Sounds like it might be similar to the Pedalworx (aka Tonefactor) Hellbilly that I still use if it can, but with a tone knob and boost. (Talk about a forgotten great pedal there...)

Need to try it as a treble boost. Hadn't tried that. I know theirs more then enough highs on the eq for sure . I've been using my Rockett Lemonade for that . Its a bit different then the Beano etc. but accomplishes the same thing. Definitely cleaner noise wise .
I almost thought of getting another Tech fuzz and use one for an overdrive . Sounds fantastic with the fuzz all the way down. But Ive been very happy with the VHT Valve-drive. Most versatile pedal Ive ever owned . Sold my Rockett Blue Note and all my other Drive pedals. So its my Tech Fuzz and VHT. :boxer By the way I'm using A Princeton Reverb Special Edition with the Greenback 10 and a VHT 12/20 RT for Reference.

henryjurstin13

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds fantastic with the fuzz all the way down.

This is what I'm pretty interested in.... I've got several overdrive pedals, but I'm not a fan of NOISY fuzz type stuff. Especially since I'm playing at home a lot right now & not in a band situation with stage volumes to cover up the lil noisy attributes. From the tiny clips I can find of this pedal in low-fuzz(gain) territory, it still seems to be pretty smooth & quiet. Would you agree?

Around the 0:35 point, you can hear some of the low gain territory -- tho only for a few seconds at most.
http://youtu.be/wWapjmM2hQo

Rumble

Instrumental Rocker
Gold Supporting Member
I had a Tech 21 Reverb/Boost, and found out by accident how great the buffer was when I hooked it up as the first pedal in my chain once. If the Boost/Fuzz has that same buffer circuitry, that would be another bonus to this pedal.

amorica

This is what I'm pretty interested in.... I've got several overdrive pedals, but I'm not a fan of NOISY fuzz type stuff. Especially since I'm playing at home a lot right now & not in a band situation with stage volumes to cover up the lil noisy attributes. From the tiny clips I can find of this pedal in low-fuzz(gain) territory, it still seems to be pretty smooth & quiet. Would you agree?

Around the 0:35 point, you can hear some of the low gain territory -- tho only for a few seconds at most.
http://youtu.be/wWapjmM2hQo

definitely agree!! All areas are usable. The high end can get extreme on the tone but I like a wide EQ. In this case more is always better because you can roll it back. A very controllable fuzz. I was the main singer and shared leads so an uncontrollable fuzz really made things difficult. But not the Tech21. Very smooth but easily gets those over the top tones. Especially the Sag knob. Man its addicting. I've tried SOOO many Fuzz pedals and this one just really gets me excited. FINALLY !!
I tried the Keeley Fuzz head man that pedal sounded so thin and harsh to me

amorica

I had a Tech 21 Reverb/Boost, and found out by accident how great the buffer was when I hooked it up as the first pedal in my chain once. If the Boost/Fuzz has that same buffer circuitry, that would be another bonus to this pedal.
Excellent Buffer! I read their philosophy on the whole True Bypass thing and it definitely made some sense. Think it just depends on how many pedals your running.

carltonh

Yeah, regarding their statement on buffers, I think the truth is in the middle. If you have 15 pedals, all true bypass, that's bad unless you had one near the front on all the time. But if you have 15 buffered bypass pedals, that is bad too, even if they are all good bypass.

amorica

Yeah, regarding their statement on buffers, I think the truth is in the middle. If you have 15 pedals, all true bypass, that's bad unless you had one near the front on all the time. But if you have 15 buffered bypass pedals, that is bad too, even if they are all good bypass.

Couldn't have said it any better!! Well put.
I'm actually kind of curious about their " Character" pedals now after how good this is. I know its a whole different thing but it would be nice to try to cop a bit of vox tone out of my Princeton if possible. Even a hint for some tunes playing live. I have that VHT 12/20 RT that I'll probably put in EL84's but would like to just take one amp.

carltonh

I have the Tech 21 Liverpool, and it can be good. You sometimes have to fight with it to set it just right, but you can win most of the time. Some settings have a distinctive unnatural pick attack that some people can't hear, but I can.

henryjurstin13

Silver Supporting Member
Couldn't have said it any better!! Well put.
I'm actually kind of curious about their " Character" pedals now after how good this is. I know its a whole different thing but it would be nice to try to cop a bit of vox tone out of my Princeton if possible. Even a hint for some tunes playing live. I have that VHT 12/20 RT that I'll probably put in EL84's but would like to just take one amp.

Speaking of character pedals.... I sold my SVT stack bc I liked their VT Bass pedal thru my MarkBass head enough to enjoy the (LACK OF) weight & close enough tone approximation....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom