• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Any word on the Tech 21 Boost Fuzz?

henryjurstin13

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for that!!! Burgs did a great job with this demo, especially around the 4:00 mark with the low drive settings.... I think this might be the next pedal in the collection!

crackbass

This one doesn't care about active pickups like a fuzz face? Buffer issues? I'm guessing no but can anyone confirm?

tech21nyc

The Boost Fuzz has no issue with buffers, wah pedals, active pickups etc. Unlike germanium based units your tone will not change with the temperature. The buffer was specifically designed to work internally with the fuzz circuitry to avoid the problems that many experience with the vintage units.

From our Boost Fuzz manual:

The Boost Fuzz celebrates the sounds of classic germanium fuzz pedals from nearly
half-a-century ago.While known for the sweet sounds of the ‘60s, germanium transistors have a (deserved) reputation for being temperamental, unreliable and prone to
wandering bias whenever there’s a change in temperature. It was not uncommon for
finicky pro players (think Hendrix) to own several of the same fuzz pedals so they
could be swapped out when they acted up.

carltonh

So Burgs showed there was a settings manual, but I don't see one on the website, unlike the Character pedals. And although sound demos made it seem like the Boost Fuzz could likely do a Tonebender or Rangemaster sound, none of them I've seen tried, so I still don't know that.

bynt

bumpage. Anyone know how this works with a treble boost? I'm still wondering about cleanup with the volume, too. The clips don't focus on that too much. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Steve73

I'm going to check this one out for sure. My Boost RVB is such a great pedal, tone and feature wise.

Aeon

Recently picked this up. It does a nice fuzz face sound, but it also does a great Big Muff sound when you crank the drive. Huge, wall-of-sound smooth distortion tone through my Fender Bassman head into an Orange 212 closed back cab. The extra Boost knob/switch is just icing on the cake.

I'm wondering if the Sag knob was intended to sort of model the range of tones available to a fuzz-face circuit, sort of like how the Character knob rolls through the various flavors of amps in their Character-series pedals.

henryjurstin13

Silver Supporting Member
Bumping an old thread to hear more thoughts on this pedal.... I wasn't digging this through my Carr Slant, but I'm loving it with my PRS H. Who else is enjoying the Boost Fuzz?

castillogm

I am resurrecting this very old thread just to let know how amazed I am about this pedal. For an overdrive junkie like me, looking for some fuzzy tones, this pedal just got the sound I was expecting: a less stamined, cutting through, more controllable Muff sound

The Boost Fuzz sits right there. It can go from a fuzzy overdriven sound to an in-your-face wall of sound like someone said before. The sag control works great to get some sputter or have a smoother sound. Chords sound clear and defined, and cleans out pretty well with the volume control. Its super silent on high gain levels (even on my MIM Tele)

The boost feature, like said, works awesome! Either used it to push the next overdrive or to simply increase the unit's volume.

A great all-around fuzz, I guess...

Trending Topics

Top Bottom