any yairi experts?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by pnksntdead, Sep 8, 2009.

1. pnksntdead

pnksntdead Silver Supporting Member

hi! i'm looking at one for sale but the older ones are pretty hard to value.
    it's a 1980s yairi branded yw 700 (with tree of life inlays). it's in nice condition, just some minor finish scratches. anybody familiar with these..?

2. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

Are you sure its not a DY70? yw700?????? Yairis are a big secret. I'd take them over a Taylor anyday. The older ones, hand made should b sounding splendid.

3. pnksntdead

pnksntdead Silver Supporting Member

yup, it's a yw 700. i believe it's a yairi made for the japanese market (not under the alvarez line). i've heard great stuff about vintage yairi's. most are laminate, though, except for the super high end.. i wonder how that matters.

4. Seniorspike

Seniorspike Member

Not directly familiar with a straight-up Yairi, but I had an early 80's Alvarez Yairi that I regret selling to this day. I sold it about ten years later for exactly what I paid for it and the guy that bought it snatched it up without even taking it out of the case. Kinda acted like he was stealing it.

5. Barefoot

Barefoot Senior Member

Not an expert by any means. But I was looking a Yairi last month on e-bay.

There are three builders named Yairi. Father, son and nephew. I guess the fathers are most sought after (S. Yairi?). Eventually they began to be mass produced but the early ones prior to that seem to attract a lot of interest.

Also lots of laminated woods on back and sides. At some point they switched to laminants (very early 70's perhaps). VERY hard to get direct answers whether you're dealing with solid backs and sides or laminates.

That's I know...such as it is..

Try google.....

6. in a little row

in a little row Member

terrific, often overlooked guitars...i had a dy-60 that i regret selling every day...

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the '80s alvarez yairis were all made with solid tops and lam back and sides. nice playing guitars but a little stiff and quiet compared to the stuff you can find today in the same price ranges.

8. marscottm

marscottm Member

Which acoustifiddles come to mind here, Walter, as I may be in the market for the same

thanks

Scott

9. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i find most average martin "15" series, nicer seagulls, big baby and 100-series taylors or any number of all-solid import guitars to be louder and fuller-sounding than the typical production yairi was.

10. teleman1952

teleman1952 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm no Yairi expert, but I do have an 1988 DY75. I bought it new. It has aged nicely and its tone rivals both my Larivee and Martin. It has a cedar top and laminated rosewood sides. You can pick one up in e-bay relatively cheap. I wouldn't sell mine.