Any Y'all heard of Jim Mize?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by urizen, Jun 2, 2015.

1. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

Got thinking more about him again when I posted on the "Lyrics You Misheard" thread in The Pub...always considered him sadly unknown; his first two CDs were really solid, sawn-to-the-bone raw, and deperately real---and I'm interested in what others think (esp. now that he's finally released a new CD that isn't moving me at all):

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    T92780 likes this.
  2. urizen

So, nobody's got any opinions, comments, thoughts on this guy? I'm surprised.

3. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I'll bite. Listened to the first two songs, like it, never heard of band before. Vocalist has a bit of a Bruce like texture and phrasing...IMO. The first tune caught me by surprise, as I was noodling this morning with a similar A to Em progression.....I'll see if anything comes to fruition, might use that song to get some ideas from :)

Thanks....again.

4. urizen

No, thank you--- lots of folks have checked in/viewed, but you have officially achieved First Responder status.

Mize seems to be pretty much an outsider, but there's something compelling (to me) about his stuff---raw, kind of quirked sideways somehow so it's not quite country or blues or a particularly rock-ish genre, and he seems to (whether by accident or design) know what to leave out of his lyrics in a way that suggests that they're saying more than they are---implicative as it were... or maybe it's all a naif's sincerity and he's just bringing himself unselfconsciously.

I listen to something like this, and think, "What is this, exactly?" because there's something that seems a little awkward, and primitive, and yet...something else:

Same with this:

I dunno, just seems like he deserves to be heard, and could maybe get an audience if he were (his new 3rd CD sounds as if he's actually trying to adapt now to a more standard template, and that's why it's not working so well for me).

Thanks (again) to you:beer

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  5. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

Nicely put.

While at the BBQ, I listened to that album, and though, well, primitive, it also has some great textures beneath. Guitar is almost, or is, out of tune at moments, but it makes sense to the whole equation....I like it....seems more music would benefit from it today...not so perfect, but yet...it is.

Nice find for me....hopefully others.

PS. Almost like raw Tom Petty meets a Bruce like feel....to some degree.