any Yamaha SA 2200 owners here?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by HHB, Jan 10, 2006.

1. HHB

HHB Member

need/want a semi hollow, on the net the Yamaha SA 2200 really looks good, anyone w/ real world experience w/ one of these babies? I'm most intersted in a neck report. I'm wanting this for fingerstyle jazz and a neck that is thinner fcrom E to E messes me up, the Hamer newport was too narrow so I'm looking for a wider but not flat front to back neck profile

2. Heliman

Heliman Member

My Yamaha experience is mostly limited to my Motif and Road Star Warrior. :eek:

However, if you are wanting a wider jazz neck, you might want to consider a Godin:

[​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.godinguitars.com/godinmontrealp.htm
    or
    http://www.godinguitars.com/godinjazzp.htm

My experience is that their necks tend to be a bit wider than most which makes fingerstyle a bit easier.
    :BEER

3. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

My best 6-string friend has one.
    Very very niece piece. I especially like the fact that both pickups are splittable separately via the push-push tone controls (very expensive gimmick).
    I'll buy one of those anytime instead of throwing money out of the window for a comparable, current build 335.
    IMHO and YMMV, obviously... but you won't do any major financial damage by buying one of these :)

JJ

4. HHB

HHB Member

thanks guys, the godins just dont so it for me, I've played a bunch, JJ's right about the cost, such a deal , let's hope I can sneak it past the wife LOL

5. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

A friend of mine was selling them in his store back in the 80s. I use to hang there and play them and I thought they were killer guitars. The necks seemed wider and slightly fatter than the current 335s and they played great. Tone was excellent also.

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

GREAT guitars - my fave 335-type.
    Current model SA2200 necks are fairly wide/fat, though some of the earlier SA2200 necks could be quite thin (so, not that stable).

7. empty71

empty71 Member

I've worked on a couple. A late '90s model and one that's recently purchased. Both necks feels similar. Slightly fatter than an Fender American Standard neck. The guitars came with bone nut that's perfectly slotted. Try that with a Gibson:jo

The installed pickups sounds pretty good and splits really well. Kudos to Yamaha for the push/push tone controls. You'll be so spolit and won't ever go back to a push/pull.

Great guitars for the $$$. I would definitely consider it as a 335 alternative.

8. Srini

Srini Guest

I used to have an SA-2000 in the early 80s, which I kept for almost 12 years. It was a really great guitar, but I got seduced by the Strat thing, and didn't dig it any more - what a mistake it was to sell it!

Then, last year, I bought a 2200 off of ebay, and it was also a wonderful instrument; and reminded me why I liked the 2000 so much. The neck had a great feel, the tuners were incredibly stable, and everything was very precisely engineered. The tone was wonderful too.

Well...odd as it may sound, years of playing Strats have given me a preference for smaller guitars, and the physicality of playing a larger bodied 335-style just wasn't working out for me, so I sold it. Funny thing is, I subsequently found out from a Robben Ford instructional DVD that he quit playing 335s and went with that unusual Fender for exactly the same reason!

That said, the 2200 is an awesome axe, and is likely better than most 335s out there.

Srini

9. Izy

Izy Member

I have one.

Awesome guitar.

Nice is a medium C shape leaning towards the fat side if you know what i mean??

I think its one of the most value for money 335 style guitars ever and great for jazz. From my viewpoint, i think its a lot better value than a gibby 335.

I think better to play one before you put in the money for it cos' neck profile may be different depending on the year of production (not too sure).

Happy hunting. :)

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I currently own one...tremendous quality & nut width feels fairly wide. The neck on mine is 60s-ish.
    Greg

11. thomasguitar

thomasguitar Member

It is TRUELY a beauty. A legend in the making...Totally affordable but hard to find. It is the best built best playing semi on the market...I've hadES335/Epiphone/Ibanez AS200/AS103/GB10...The ebony fingerboard is a delight. I have a Bigsby on mine and the coil-splitters make the most versatile axe ever.[​IMG]

12. duaneallen

duaneallen Supporting Member

I love all of these new threads for this model. I'm really gassing for one now. Anyone know what used ones go for?

13. ericprsse

ericprsse Member

I have one that was originally made for a Yahama endorsed player.. it's tobacco sunburst, has nickel hardware, grover tuners, seth lover pups and *apparently* the quality of the wood used is superior to the normal stock that goes into the sa2200s. My neck is wide from e to e and not thin, but definitely not wide from front to back. I find it very very comfortable. The radius is just right too.

Its a stunning guitar; much better than any gibsons I AB'd it with that didn't cost 4000+. It sounds awesome and similar to a 335 but I'd say it has a bit more mids.

14. thomasguitar

thomasguitar Member

Yes agreed. You must have a beauty axe man! The SA2200 I find, is more comparable to the ES355 especially with the ebony FB and gold HW.....but (in my proud but humble opinion) still better in all areas....Peace

15. furry

furry Senior Member

I own one. It beat out three Ibanez semis and a 335. Neck is perfect--for me anyway. Chunkier than the 335, but not too fat. Much, much more resonant than the Ibanez semis, and the pickups are fantastic. It was more versatile, better built and better sounding than the 335 I owned, but YMMV.

Just an outstanding electric guitar in every way.

16. ericprsse

ericprsse Member

shes my baby alright. the nickel hardware looks great too, better than gold would look with the tobacco sunburst.

17. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

I've had both a 2200 and a 2000. The 2200 was a 96 model I think and was a stellar guitar. I've also owned 3 (still have one) early 80's Ibanez as-200's and I kind of favour those. They have a more unique sound. The 2200 is a great workhorse guitar though and sounds excellent. Neck is a good size in the palm and about 1 11/16ths at the nut. I remember one of the nicest features was it's ability to sound like a full hollow body or at least a 330 type sound. Very cool and well made. I don't think you would be disapointed- I play fingerstyle as well.

18. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Hey Eric, that was my sa2200. Glad you are still digging it!!!!! I knew it was going to a good home.