Any Zoom H4, 4 track recordings ??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dmczern, Feb 4, 2008.

1. dmczern

dmczern Member

I've scoured the threads already,
    just curious how well the H4 actually
    performs as a 4 track recorder.

Thanks !!

2. dmczern

dmczern Member

bump, should I move this thread ?

3. dmczern

dmczern Member

WOW , no one ??

4. madscientist

madscientist Member

I haven't used mine all that much in 4 track mode....I usually do stereo recording mode or use the software/interface mode.

If I have time this weekend, I'll try and make a sample

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

It sounds fine, it's just a bit cumbersome....as you would expect with that type of user interface. Download the users manual if you want to see how it's done.

6. dmczern

dmczern Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

For me time is the issue.....hopefully will be able to
    make some 4 track recordings next week.

Take care,

Dave

7. bilbal

bilbal Member

A buddy of mine just bought the H4 and he loves it. He uses it to record another buddy's band. He usually gets it hot right from the board (stereo). I am not sure if he's ever tried the 4 track option. To be honest, I wasn't even aware that it had that capability. I just sent him an IM and I will tell you what he has to say about it. Be right back...

b

8. dmczern

dmczern Member

Thanks man !

9. dmczern

dmczern Member

BTW, I took it to NAMM and got some kick arse
    recordings. My favorite was one of Larry Coryell,
    Jeff Berlin, Chuck Loeb and Danny Gotlieb.

I didn't really know the machine yet as it came
    in the mail the day before. The recordings turned
    out very well despite me being a newbie to it.

Cheers

10. SGNick

SGNick Member

Wow! Sorry I missed this thread! I am an avid H4 user since I got it Early January. Here is my take on the H4's mulittracking capabilities, and I have many a clips to demontrate my point!

Here's using nothing but the line in on the H4 going directly from the headphone jack on my amp (Vox AD50VT)

All mixing was done on the H4 itself, I only used 3 tracks I think. It was just a quick demo anyhow.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=758446&songID=6135198

Here's the same song, but instead of going directly through the line in, I recorded the parts with the built in mics about 2 feet from my amp.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=758446&songID=6253893

This recording I think sums up what the H4 is capable of doing when combined with a mixer program on your computer. To record the song, I took advantage of a little design feature that some would call a flaw. The H4 can only playback 4 tracks at a time. but each track has 4 virtual tracks... what this means for me is that when I multitrack (which is what I do ALL the time) I can record the first 4 tracks, open up one of the tracks (One of the tracks I took away won't be in playback, but will still be on the memory card) so I can keep adding tracks to the recording.

When I have all the tracks recorded and want to mix them together, you can either do it 4 tracks at a time bounce back style on the H4 (the interface makes it a bit tough) or you can do what I do and upload all the recorded files to your computer (I have a built in card reader, but you can use the USB cable) and dump them all into a mixing program. the H4 comes with Cubase LE, but I use Kristal AUdio Engine, it's also free for non-commercial use.

That's how I recorded this song. First I recorded the rhythm guitar, then the drums, then the bass, then the lead. Thats 4 tracks. I switched the lead guitar track to "No data" (which is one of the virtual tracks) and recorded lead vocal. then I took the lead vocal of and recorded the 2nd vocal!

It sounds a lot more complicated than it really is I promise! I then dumped them all into Kristal and mixed/EQ'd it and here's the result.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=758446&songID=6242840

Here's another song I did using the H4's built in effects and preamps, once again mixed on the computer.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=758446&songID=6253893

The voice on the last two is what it is... the H4 had nothing to do with it I swear!

wow... what a long winded post... if you have any questions don't hesitate! Just shoot me a PM!