Any1 here build me this? Check it out!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by pureoverdrive, Dec 24, 2009.

1. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

Looking for someone to build me this:
    Neck thru wolfgang (new style shape body), with a kill switch on the right horn, dimarzio d sonic in the bridge, dimarzio tone zone s in the neck with a fernandes sustainer under it (so it only takes up the space of a normal neck hummer), a graphitec floyd with a good sustain block, Line 6 Variax guts, mahogany body, maple top, birdseye maple neck, true temprament frets, low impedance locking output jack ..... for $4000?

2. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

come on, some1 must be good enough!

3. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

If you havent done so, post this in the "The Small Company Luthiers" forum.. alot of builders hang out in there...

4. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

You should probably divide this up into two segments; one guy to build you the guitar in wood, another to handle your electronics. That will make it a bit simpler.

You should also probably round up the templates you'll need (as well as the hardware). You'll also need to find out if you can simply get a true temperament fretboard from those folks, and you should probably be prepared to send the finished guitar back to them for fret dressing at the end of the build. The Variax 500 seems to be the easiest to install (and there are templates for that and the cover plates available). There are build photos for Variax 500 instruments coupled with humbuckers on Jeff Miller's site: http://www.guitaristjeffmiller.com/guitars.htm.

Placement of the sustainer pcb (it needs a rout, too, and a battery box) will be interesting, depending on where you want the switches to come out on the front of the guitar. The coupling of the sustainer activator with the DiMarzio can certainly be done, but it's a bit fiddly with the shielding. I think you may have some glitches with the Variax components and the Sustainer talking to each other where you don't want them to.

I have a guitar something like this (but without the Variax bits):
    [​IMG]

In this case, the kill switch takes up the space left by the old tone control. Both the volume (now a Master Volume) and original tone control have been moved toward the bridge/bridge pickup. The other two controls are a Chandler Tone-X and a sustainer Intensity pot. The miniswitches for the Sustainer are behind the bridge.

This will give you an idea of the number of control covers you're looking at (before you start working with the Variax bits):

[​IMG]

And here's the Sustainer activator and the diMarzio (mine's a slightly hotter Fast Track II) living together:

[​IMG]

Here's the back of one of Jeff Miller's Variax-equipped guitars (no sustainer, no Floyd) to give you an idea what lurks there. The black cover is the battery box (six AA batteries, I think) for the Variax bits. :

[​IMG]

I've tried the True Temperament fretted guitars. This is the single bit of the build that I'd suggest you abandon; I think you'll be quite disappointed with the results.

5. pureoverdrive

pureoverdrive Member

Awsome post and guitar. Who made it for you? Its a set neck right? How come set necks like this always have thick laquer finishes on them, I cant stand laquer...

6. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

What's a low impedance locking output jack?

I assume you mean some kind of pre-amp/jack combo?

I don't know much about the true temp necks, but I always thought the simplest approach was best. Instead of messing with special nuts or frets just make the nut compensated and use the Feiten offsets when tuning up. I think their are other methods to tune up as well, not sure though.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  7. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member