anybody bend or shorten a tremolo arm? (strat)

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
Just got a 2008 MIM strat, and the trem arm is too long & too high. I see online some people have custom bent theirs, wondering if anybody here has and if you do/don't recommend it.

Also, was going to cut about an inch off the end, but can't figure out how to get the damn tip off. Anybody?

[yes, I know Callaham makes MIM upgrades, where I could buy the block and their '64 arm for $75, but my MIM has the block upgrade, and I'd rather not have to buy the Callaham block just to get the arm, and they don't sell MIM-thread arms.]

Rama

No problem bending it...take it off and put it in a vice..or door jam.;)

Only caveat about shortening it is that it will feel a little stiffer because you will be loosing a little fulcrum advantage.

cram

check out the guys in umphrey's mcgee. One of them uses a little paddle to handle the vibe. He only uses the palm of his hand on it - I'm not sure if it's floating. He seems to use it with ease.

jeff beck is a heavy adopter of the bar and his is shorter than most. Maybe it's just that his has more of a bend - now that I think of it and view images via a search...

Tip - I think they all unscrew and maybe your's is just on their tight.

ruger9

Silver Supporting Member
hmm... but if I cut the end, I won't be able to thread the tip back on... oh bother...

rob2001

Back in the day my buddy made a custom bar to poke fun at all the guys using way too much wammy bar....it was like 3' long!! Funny as hell when he'd take the "rock star" stance, put on his best guitar face and go nuts with the 3' bar!

Sorry for the hijack....ya, you can make em any size/length you want. He used a thread cutting die to re-thread for a tip.

dumbell78

Just bought Callaham's two short versions. I like the 64 better then the David Gilmour version. The DG is a bit too stiff for me. They are $15/each not bad really.

Axekisser

Heat the plastic end a bit with a hair dryer or heat gun on a low setting and it will come off nicely. Cut the end with a hacksaw and reverse to re-assemble. You can bend if you take it easy.

I made a custom wooden tip for my EJ out of teak and stained to match. Looks great instead of plastic.

monty

I used a vice too. Due to the hole being drilled at an angle, the bar sat too high for me so I bent it and it is perfect.

Trending Topics