Anybody DIY a scalloped neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by doc, Feb 11, 2012.

1. doc

doc Member

I actually have a Fender Malmsteen strat I like, so I know what I'm getting into. I have an old Peavey that I like the tone of, but it isn't worth much on the market. My gripe is the feel of the neck - kinda clunky. Just mulling over taking it in and paying for a pro to work it over and the thought of scalloping it myself occured to me.

Your thoughts?

2. GM Reszel

GM Reszel Member

I scallop w/ a dremel and small drum sander. With the different grits down to finer sandpaper wrapped around dowels you can make it look perfect. I do a half 'tear-drop' shape scallop - only taken out where you need it by the fret and ramping up to the preceeding fret (as you get past the 12th the ramping starts to disappear into a typical looking half-moon scallop). With the dremel you can also keep each scallop at the fretboard sides closed so you don't feel the bumping along the fretboard sides - a nice feature.

The technique is thus: you start just behind the fret and drag the sander across making your first rut. Then it's just refining that rut into the scallop shape you desire. Use two hands on the dremel; using your right hand to prevent the tool from catching and rolling into the fret. I put a guard over the fret I'm working on the prevent damage. It's just 3 or 4 pieces of masking tape over the wire and if the drum gets too close and nicks the tape it makes a different sound that tells me I'm too close. It's a feel thing and I've nicked fret edges before; but I've only ever had to do a little recrowning to fix a small side nick and never had the tool roll over the top of the bead and trash the fret.

Others will scallop using carving techniques and blades which is great too - I"m just showing the dremel method as a way to get it done. Perhaps practice on a junk guitar 1st if possible.

3. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

Cheapo gtr, right? Be bold. I've done two, one cheap kit Strat [came out great] and one C.L. Tele parts gtr. I just carefully used a rat-tail fail to rough out the shape, next step w/ sandpaper around a dowel, then finished up w/ sandpaper by hand. Protect the frets w/ tape, etc.

4. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Must be a Predator...

(Peavey Predator I mean...)

5. rob2001

rob2001 Member

I did one, an old Kramer neck I had sitting here. It worked enough to find out what a scallop felt like. I did a full, deep scallop.

6. doc

doc Member

Thanks for all the input. Actually its a Patriot.