Anybody else got it/getting it bad for a Grosh set neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gitarzilla, Jun 2, 2005.

1. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    I've been cruising around the net for a bit looking at some of the Grosh set necks that are around and I'm finding myself getting it bad for one of those, especially if I can find one with a wrap tail. I've got several vintage and nice historic LPs am I missing anything by not having one of those Grosh set necks, or do they cover pretty much the same territory?

2. mep

mep Supporting Member

I had it bad for a Grosh Set Neck and I satisfied that pain by buying #49. It is a beautiful flame maple light amber burst with brazillian rosewood fret board. It is a semi-hollow body with solid top equipped with Fralin pups and a med/large neck.

I think that it far surpasses any LP guitar or other setneck guitar that I have ever played. The guitar is very balanced physically and feels comfortable standing or sitting. The tone is fat and warm and very touch sensitive. This guitar can shred or be a great jazzer.

The biggest problem with the Grosh set neck is finding one in stock because they usually sell quickly.

3. hollowbody

hollowbody Member

It would be interesting to hear from anybody who can compare the set necks to Baker B1s. Are they doing anything different?

4. fatback

fatback Member

Less than one month to go on a my set neck. I ordered it last September.

Yeah, you could say I got it pretty bad these days.:D

5. phretbored

phretbored Member

The Grosh Set Neck is a killer guitar.
    It is very versatile and the shape is cool too.
    Amazing tone!!!
    IMHO they play and feel like they were built better than the handful of Bakers that I played.

Who has a Set Neck?
    Post some pics!!!

6. I still prefer the Retro Classics.

7. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

Have you actually compared them? I own three Retro's, and I love them to death, but I have never tried the Set Neck. I would really love to play one, but it would have to be pretty F'n incredible to dethrone my beloved Historic Les Pauls, that I hand picked over many others through the last few years.

9. gitarzilla

gitarzilla Member

In the garage, fixing stuff my kids broke
    The retro classics are kind of a different animal aren't they? They're more of DG's take on vintage Fenders, aren't they? The set necks are more of his take on the mahogany/maple LP thing.

Anyone near McKenzie River Music in Oregon (I think?). They've got an orange one with a wrap tail that's got me droolin'. Their site says there's a hold on it, but I don't know how up-to-date the site is.

10. phretbored

phretbored Member

The Set Neck is not supposed to be a Les Paul at least IMHO.
    I really liked the Set Neck I played because it had it's own tone and feel.
    If you want a Lester go with a Lester.
    If you want another killer set neck maple/mahogany guitar check out a Set Neck!

11. A. Tad Askew

A. Tad Askew Member

Some of us are very fortunate indeed. I own a set neck and a retro classic and both are amazing! In addition, my neighbor just bought a carved top T that I get to play often. Check out the pics at guitaradoptions.com. Look at Dave's Grosh inventory and see my Honeyburst set neck and the Tobacco burst T.....

Is life great or what!!

12. hollowbody

hollowbody Member

OK so if it isn't a Lester, how do you characterise the sound?
    If there's anybody out there with a hollow one it would b good to know where it falls between a Lester and a 335/6?

13. phretbored

phretbored Member

Well the one I played was a hollow one so I guess it would not sound like an LP because of that.
    I really like semi hollow and hollow guitars because they have a great full warm midrange tone.
    With the Grosh Set Neck being a double cut design that should also make it sound different than an LP.
    It resonates different than a single cut design like an LP.
    Also the Grosh might be a different thickness but I am not sure.

Overall I am guessing that Grosh wanted to make a killer set neck design, which he did, but maybe the idea was to get the tone in the area of an LP rather than imitate it.

Personally I am not a big fan of LP's although it seems to run in phases.

If I had the choice between a Set Neck or an LP it would be the Set Neck.

14. mep

mep Supporting Member

Phretbored: The DG Set Neck is a single cut design not a double cut.

In my opinion it is very similar to the best Les Paul's that I have played...only better. I especially like the balanced fee that it provides over the body heavy feel of a LP. I have played four different DG set necks. Two were solid body and two were semi-hollow. Three of them had fralin pups and one had D'Marzzio. I like the semi-hollow just a little better for my style but there is nothing wrong with the solid body.

My semi-hollow body with a solid top is very articulate and alive sounding and feeling. It can get the jazzier tones of the 335 but it can also get the full on tone of LP.

15. phretbored

phretbored Member

mep,

Right on.
    I think the shape threw me a little but yes it is a single cut style design.
    What I really dig about the shape is that it reminds me of Brian May's guitar which I always thought was cool.

The Set Neck I played felt and resonated different than a Les Paul.
    I believe it also had Fralin's which I really liked with the semi-hollow body.
    While the Set Neck may get some of the same sounds as an LP it also got it's own sounds when I played it...I never really thought it was that close to an LP.
    It reminded me a lot of a PRS Custom 22 semi-hollow though only a little fatter.

You mentioned that while it got LP sounds that it was better...isn't that like saying it gets LP sounds only different?

If I want an LP sounding guitar I would just buy a nice LP.

If I want a different and killer sounding guitar built in the style of an LP I would get a Set Neck!

Here's a fantastic quilt Set Neck for somebody ready cure a G.A.S attack.
    http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=804121

16. mep

mep Supporting Member

Okay Phretbored, I'll conceed the DG set neck sounds better, feels better and is better than a LP! IMHO LOL

I have never been able to warm up to a LP and always played 335's, strats(Fenders and Anderson), PRS and tele style Fender and an Anderson Hollow T configured with H/S/H). When I found the DG set neck, I found the humbucker style guitar that I have been looking for.

By the way I have played the DG Set Neck that your link takes you to. It is an awesome instrument. It is priced good because of the pickups. In fact Don Grosh told me that he likes the DeMarzio's as well as the Fralins. Somebody ought to jump on this guitar.

17. phretbored

phretbored Member

Right on.
    I too like it better than an LP.
    A killer LP's has amazing tone but I don't like where the neck and body join so much...but that is part what makes it sound the way it does I guess.
    If the Set Neck is exactly the same as an LP in that area I don't know for sure.
    I do know that it was easy as anything to play.

That Blue Quilt one is mesmerizing.

Don Grosh did it right!

(Before I Set Neck makes it's way into my collection I need to get a Gibson Pat Martino first. The G.A.S. is killing me!)