Anybody else hate Daddario strings?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Feverdog, Jul 26, 2019.

1. Penguinchit

Penguinchit Member

[​IMG]

2. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

D’Addario strings just don’t last as long as GHS for me and I don’t have glue hands that kills a set of strings instantly. I wish I liked them as they are everywhere.

If it were pink that hand on the right looks like my hands lol. If the thumb were longer that is.

3. Gevalt

Gevalt Member

You may be happy to discover that GHS and Curt Mangan also do 9.5 sets

4. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I haven't tried those brands in years, GHS was popular in the 80s.

5. Omi79

Omi79 Member

Elixir for the win

6. Quartermass

Quartermass Member

I don't hate D'Addario strings...I like them. They are all I've ever used. I kinda know them (how they feel, stretch and age). No worries either way. Strings are just strings...use what you use and like what you like. It's what you do with them that matters anyway, I reckon. Cheers.

OutterLimits likes this.
  7. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Hate is a strong word...I did use them for many years but went to Ernie Balls for quite a long time too and in the past several years have stuck with GHS Boomers.

For fun I recently bought a 3 pack of D'Addario EXLs but couldn't even believe they were the same strings as made years ago. So bright to the point of tinny and just not good sounding. I put a set on my Strat and Tele. They are long off the Tele and will be coming off the Strat soon too. No string breakage issues but Ill stick w/ Boomers.

8. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

Curious ... what amps do you use with the Tele/Strat? I find that EL84 based amps sound great to my ears with EXLs ... not as thrilled when using a Fenderish 6L6/6V6 type amp.

9. musicman1

musicman1 Member

LOL I prefer using either 6L6 amps or class D ss...generally Fender ish clean is my preferred. Also both gtrs have EMG active Alnico pickups. Im guessing its the alloy D'A is using on the EXL wound strings that Im not liking the tone of. The plain steel strings are fine. Also, the wounds feel too light to me tension wise. Boomers to me have a bit more tension and resistance which I prefer. Combined with using a snappy sounding 2.0 pick, its a good combination. I also have 9-42s on all my solid body gtrs.

OutterLimits likes this.
  10. buzzp

buzzp Member

I played D'addario for years. Once I switched to GHS roundcore boomers 10 13 15 26 36 46 I haven't felt the need to switch to anything else. I tried some really expensive strings between d'addario and GHS, only to find that the only thing I really care about is roundcore vs hexcore.

11. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

12. jimk4003

jimk4003 Member

Always used D'Addario 10-46's. Occasionally forayed into other brands like Ernie Ball, Fender, and Rotosound, as well as trying a few pricier options like DR and Curt Mangan. Always ended up back at the D'Addario's; they last well, sound good, stay in tune, and I don't think I've ever broken one.

Given that my Strat has a floating trem that usually needs setting back up if I switch brand, even if they're the same guage, I tend to just stick with what I know works these days. If it ain't broke, and all that.

13. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Yes.

hate them.
    Tried many times to like them.
    I gave up.

Curt Mangan FTW.

johnpaulgeorgeringo likes this.
  14. johnpaulgeorgeringo

johnpaulgeorgeringo Member

15. h-pr

h-pr Member

Can't complain about D'Addario strings. I've tried different brands, but they either corroded quickly, felt weird or sounded dull, so I always returned to the plain and simple D'Addario EXLs.

16. trap

trap Supporting Member

From Scott Henderson :
    “My friend and I did a string shootout a few years ago and we were both very surprised at how different they all sound. I've been using D'Addario for a long time, so I was happy because we both thought they were the best sounding strings of the 10 popular brands we tried.”

17. Killshakes

Killshakes Member

This thread cracks me up. The title + number of posts gives the impression that a bunch of people hate D’addario strings, but then you read it, and it’s just 15 pages of people mostly saying “no—I really LIKE them.” (myself included).

trap and dpgreek like this.
  18. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

I've mainly used D'Addario roundwounds for the last 30 years. There was a period around 5-7 years ago where i had multiple sets unravel at the ball end, but they seem to have fixed that, and mostly i find them very consistent. I also use EB Slinkies from time to time, and I don't really know that they're that different.

For flatwounds, I think Thomastiks are better. The D'Addarios are a little less balanced between wound and unwound strings, imho.

19. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Nyxl or nothing

trap likes this.
  20. tommyg

tommyg Member

I moved away from D'Addario's because I swear I had 3 bad packs of strings in a bundle of five once, and went to DR's. I've been using DR's ever since: Pure Blues .10's for electric and Sunbeams .13 for acoustic.