Anybody else hate ultra/super relics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lukeII, Sep 3, 2008.

1. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I really like closet classic and light to medium relic guitars I think it gives the guitar a certain old and used vibe (like a guitar that has been played a lot cared for but picked up a couple dings through course of things) but lately the trend seems to be going towards ultra and super relics (ref; fender custom shop) and I think they look awful. The guitars look completely trashed and like they were used in a bar fight and when you see vintage instruments in a store the relics look even more worn out then the most of the original (fair condition) instruments they are trying to replicate, its as if they were used in a bar fight or something. I think that the relic thing has reached its pinnacle with these super & ultra relics and could never see myself shelling out a couple of grand for one of those. I actually played a stunning tele that had this treatment (finish sanded off the neck and well dinged body) and didn't buy it because I thought it was too reliced.Anybody else got thoughts on this?

2. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Eh, I tend to save my hate for worthy causes like FSU or the USC Trojans.

3. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

:munch I think we've been down this road before. Those who like them, buy them. Those who don't, won't. I personally like them, but that's just my opinion.

4. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Definitely with JereyDrew. I could take or leave arm wear and dings, but I play 'em because they are the best feeling Fenders out there. I love unfinished neck feel since the 80's, and where else can you get them with fat necks, big frets and warrantied. Super relics!!!

Plus some of them sound amazing, and I will play it no matter what it looks like. can't worry about what others will think. Play it for sound, play it for feel, not for looks.

5. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

yes with all respect to anyone who wants to like them - please enjoy, it's a free country... but IMO they are completely stupid. reminds me of the dudes who would put "Turbo" badges from Saabs or whatever on stock Toyota Corollas back in the 90's... just like the trend to over-the-top flametops on every single PRS/LP/whatever that kicked in a few years ago... it used to be something special, now even if you have real choice hardwood it just ends up looking just like the photo-top or painted-flame imitations that every other schmoe has.

that said, over the last year or so I've forced myself to try to be objective and reconsider my normally curmudgeonly attitude and have seen a few ultra-light 'aging' projects (by individual owners mainly) that are really realistic and undetectable that I had to say were OK. but mainly because at first you don't notice anything has been done at all. the soak-metal-parts-in-corrosive-acid and hard-sanding-the-thumb-spot on the necks and big-dents-banged-in-finish still all looks so poseur to me though. the vast majority of REAL vintage player guitars don't REALLY look like that, it was only a tiny minority that were so abused, but now everybody's got to copy the SRV look...

6. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I don't buy my jeans with holes already in them and I don't see any reason to do the same with my guitars. I'll wear 'em out myself.

7. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Do you buy them faded? Prewashed? Same thing, it's still distressed, just not as much. More like light relicing, but the idea is the same. I don't buy the ones with holes in them either, but if I crack on those that do, I'd be a hypocrite because I buy faded jeans.

8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I like my jeans pre-conditioned and worn in...they're more comfortable that way...same goes for guitars I suppose.

9. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Brand new off the shelf is how I get 'em. If I want a pre-washed guitar, I buy a used one.

10. dave s

dave s Member

My two strats are '69 Heavy Relics. From 15' they don't even look beat up. Vids of my band indicate I'm playing either a White or Fiesta Red strat. The vids don't show a 'relic' or 'beat up' guitar at all.

What strikes me as 'odd' are the relics with the finish nearly removed from the guitar through the use of belt sanders, chisles and sand blasting.

dave

11. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Frankiesixx, even brand new, they're still distressed denim unless you buy the cardboard stiff, dark blue farmer jeans.

12. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

That s a point but as some said before, if you like the feel of a very thin to no finish on your neck, you don t really have much choice but buying a relic.
    I totally understand that some people do for the reasons mentioned above.

Now the point is that it's far easier to make a closet classic finish than a credible, realistic and good looking heavy worn out guitar. It seems to me that many smaller companies and builders can do it really well but Fender themselves and I find it rather sad ...

Most of the heavier CS I ve seen, including most Master Built, look cheap and fake because they obviously did not put the time and effort into doing a realistic aging. Using the same template and just ruining a finish with a sander does not do it for me. I feel that they are somehow cheating the customers.

13. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

that's a whole diff't story and a great point about 'soft finish' necks. i had a charvel strat in the 80's with a matte-finish neck with extremely light varnish that was awesome. it took me 20 years to kinda remember how cool that was. now i've taken the shiny sticky gloss finish off the back of a few necks with subtle scotchbrite/emery/steel wool treatments and it's fantastic. an unappreciated and free trick.

well, you can get a lot of axes with fat necks and big frets and warranties... doesn't mean they have to look stoopid.

OK I'm back with you - testify, brother. which is why i don't like the fuss and the price put on all the relicing fiasco... but if you got one, and it sounds and plays great, more power to you. I'd just rather pay the same or less for the same feel/sound without the BS and looking like a doucheknuckle.

14. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Where can you get nice chunky, unfinished neck'd guitars that are warrantied vibroverbus?

Another part of the feel, that relic bashers (ironic) don't get is the lack of finish for the forearm keeps it from getting sticky as you play. I can't stand a new guitar where after an hour or so, my forearm wants to stick in one spot.

To me someone with a pointy Jackson, graphic, or a gold hardwared, flame jobbed would look a lot more doucheknuckled. A relic looks a lot less gawdy and eye catching, and especially as you play them into your own.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  15. vibroverbus

vibroverbus Member

I agree. I wouldn't own one of those either.

16. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Ernie Ball, Charvel only have puny necks that come unfinished. Warmoth and USA won't warranty without a hard finish. USA would a few years back but only if I ordered a quartersawn and put a lot of oil on it.

I don't think I've seen anywhere that you can get unfinished necks that are warrantied. so I've come to really appreciate the looks of all relics, simply because of digging the feel.

17. Joisey

Joisey Member

I am a card carrying doucheknuckle! I am glad not to worry what anyone thinks of me. I graduated high school a long time ago and left that **** at the door.

18. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Amen brutha! Doucheknucklism is alive and strong! Relics rock!

19. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I buy punk rock stretch jeans. :dunno:

20. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

I have a Heavy Relic '56 Strat that by what I see today is not so heavy.

The body has some wear but nothing compared to what's in that category nowadays.
    Things are getting to extremes on some examples.